Raleigh officer-involved shooting spurs state investigation

NCTexan

index.html:

Raleigh officer-involved shooting spurs state investigation

(CNN)Police in Raleigh, North Carolina, say state authorities are investigating after an officer shot and killed a man there Monday.

The city's police chief told reporters the man was a suspect wanted on a felony drug charge.

Rolanda Byrd told CNN affiliates WRAL and WNCN that the man was her 24-year-old son, Akiel Denkins, and that police had no reason to shoot him.

"They killed my son for no reason," Byrd told CNN affiliate WRAL. "Everybody out here said he was running, didn't have a gun, (was) trying to jump a fence, and that officer shot my son seven times. For what? For nothing," she said. "My son didn't have no gun on him. My son wasn't threatening that officer."

Scissors-32x32.png

==============================

Missing from these reports is that a gun was found "in close proximity" to the body at the time of the incident. The NAACP has already scheduled protests today.

Let the protests begin... guess we won't be going downtown for lunch for some time now.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-29%20at%203.20.4

WRAL

RALEIGH, N.C. — A Raleigh police officer killed a drug suspect fleeing arrest Monday afternoon, Police Chief Cassandra Deck-Brown said. 15

Senior Officer D.C. Twiddy was chasing a man on foot who was wanted on a felony drug charge and ended up shooting him, Deck-Brown said. The shooting occurred shortly after noon near the intersection of Bragg and East streets.

Twiddy, 29, who is white, has been employed by the Raleigh Police Department since 2009 and is assigned to the Field Operations Division. He has been placed on administrative leave, pending the completion of an investigation.

A gun was found "in close proximity to" the dead man, the chief said. Police have not said whether the gun belonged to the man or whether he threatened Twiddy.

Scissors-32x32.png

Read more at

Well the story has sure changed with the police and autopsy report released yesterday afternoon.

The urban narrative has been, "The boy was just running when the police shot him in the back 7 times. The boy didn't have no gun."

WRAL

Police: Raleigh officer struggled with man over gun before fatal shooting

RALEIGH, N.C. — A 24-year-old man who was shot and killed by a Raleigh police officer on Monday was shot four times, according to preliminary autopsy results released Thursday. 4

A separate report from the Raleigh Police Department said that Senior Officer D.C. Twiddy and Akiel Denkins were struggling and that Denkins was reaching for a gun when he was shot.

Denkins suffered four gunshot wounds, including one to his right chest, with injuries to his lungs and heart, and one each in the left forearm, right upper arm and right shoulder, according to preliminary results.

According to the report, Twiddy, who is white, first observed Denkins, who is black, on Bragg Street, near Mangum Street. Twiddy, who was in uniform, parked his patrol car and approached Denkins, who turned and begun to walk away.

When Twiddy told Denkins to stop, he began to run west on Bragg Street before turning onto South East Street, with Twiddy chasing him on foot, the report states. Denkins then ran between two homes, and Twiddy slipped on gravel as he attempted to follow. As Twiddy was getting up to continue the pursuit, he saw Denkins hop a fence and run toward a home at 1117 South East St. Twiddy followed, jumped the fence and continued the chase.

As he came around the corner of the house, Twiddy saw Denkins attempting to climb a second fence. Denkins then stopped and turned toward Twiddy, according to the report.

Twiddy ran and grabbed Denkins in an effort to take him into custody. While the two struggled, Twiddy saw Denkins start to pull a handgun from the front of his waistband and move it toward Twiddy, the report states.

During the struggle, Twiddy drew his weapon and fired multiple shots as Denkins continued to move his gun in his direction, the report states. After the first shots were fired, Twiddy felt Denkins' hand or arm make contact with his gun, and fearing that Denkins was going to shoot him or take his gun, he fired additional shots.

Denkins collapsed and dropped his gun in the process. Twiddy used his radio to call for assistance.

A gun found at the scene, which was in Denkins' possession during the encounter, was reported stolen on Jan. 31, according to the report.

Now we will see how long the protest will continue downtown. I don't expect the facts will get in the way of any the Black Lives Matter talking points.

Sadly there will be calls for police to work more closely with "the community"... but nobody will worry about career felons walking their neighborhood with stolen weapons while selling drugs.

@NCTexan

Sigh, I can't help but think of how different things might be today if the first Black President had been a unifier as he had promised instead of intentionally doing the opposite.

• Like 1

The latest update regarding this shooting now that the facts are out and irrefutable... show how hopeless relations are with the "community".

Even "a man of the cloth" with a "church" within spitting distance of the ongoing gang and drug activity keeps up the Black Lies Matter rhetoric.

(Hundred and hundreds came from all over the area to honor and eulogize Akiel.... making him a role model and poster boy for this sad "community".)

WRAL

Raleigh, N.C. — The life and recent death of Akiel Denkins shined a new spotlight on the issue of gangs in Raleigh. Sources told WRAL News that he was a known gang member.

Denkins was wanted on drug and probation violation charges when he was spotted on Bragg Street in south Raleigh by Officer D.C. Twiddy. Denkins fled, Twiddy gave chase and, according to the police report on the incident, Denkins reached for a gun before Twiddy shot him four times.

For law enforcement officers and concerned members of the community, prevention of lives cut short starts with redirecting young people, often male, from the path that leads to criminal activity.

But many in the Bragg Street community said, right now, gangs are not their issue or focus.
Scissors-32x32.png

"I've only heard about the gangs," said Bishop Darnell Dixon of Bible Way Temple. "I've never had any negative interaction with the gangs."

Mutota, who lives nearby, pointed out that anti-gang programs are doing little for Denkins.
Scissors-32x32.png

@NCTexan

My Head Hurts...Bad.

Bishop Darnell Dixon is yet one more proof that you can be a Christian and still be dumber than dirt.

@Valin

And one more proof that if you call yourself a Studebaker and spend your days in a garage... that doesn't make you an automobile.

mmtc.jpg

• Like 2

Draggingtree

@NCTexan

Sigh, I can't help but think of how different things might be today if the first Black President had been a unifier as he had promised instead of intentionally doing the opposite.

• Like 2