Hands off the Nomination Process

Draggingtree

hands-off-the-nomination-process:
Hands off the Nomination Process

Mike H / February 15, 2016 / 8 COMMENTS

I believe the prediction markets are correct and that the Democrats are likely to win the presidency again this year. This has less to do with the Democrat’s talent than is has to do with the Republican brand’s failure to sell in national elections.

Republicans and Democrats have opposite problems this round: they’re running on the fumes from two generations ago; we’re too young and untried. Our talent was especially too young the last two times around and, this time, they are like those college athletes who “go pro” a year too soon. Our deep bench looked good from a distance but reality shows that our side is still very green. And what about the governors? My guess is the governor model of nominee sourcing has become too parochial. What appeals in Wisconsin, New Jersey, or Texas may not generalize to the rest of the country. But despite all this — and the likelihood that we’ll miss one of our best chances to meaningful strike down Obamacare– I’d rather be in our position than theirs. Scissors-32x32.png