Happy Reagan’s Birthday!

Valin

?p=57432Shot In The Dark:

It’s Ronald Reagan’s birthday. He’d be 105 if he were alive today.

Mitch Berg

February 6, 2016

Ronald_Reagan_Brandenburg.jpg

I’ve been writing about Reagan – who, along with PJ O’Rourke, Solzhenitzyn, Dostoevskii and Paul Johnson is the reason I’m a conservative today – as long as this blog has been in existence, and long before. He was the first Republican I ever voted for – growing up in the left-leaning household I did, Reagan was utterly trayf.

His eight years in the Presidency, like his two terms in California, were not perfect, and I don’t beatify my presidents, even if they’ve been out of office for two and a half decades. His last term wasn’t as stellar as his first, and his last two years were very difficult.

(Snip)

Some hamsters say “Reagan could never get nominated today!” It’s possible. I have a copy of a George Will book from the middle of Reagan’s second term that hammers the President’s departures from conservative orthodoxy; I can imagine what today’s Mark Levins and Laura Ingrahams would say and do.

(Snip)

Anyway – have a safe and blessed Reagan’s Birthday.

• Like 3

Happy Birthday Gipper....

Here is my take, I think he would he would like people like Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Bobby Jindal, and Carly.. I don't think he would like you know who.

He did want a big tent and to bring in more people. Not exclude people..

• Like 3

righteousmomma

Not being political back then - just loved Reagan and voted Republican - I enjoyed reading this brief account because it does not deify but humanizes him in a kind way.

Reagan, Thatcher and Pope John Paul II were and still are my heroes of any Century.

• Like 3