Rand Paul drops out of White House race

Valin

rand-paul-dropping-out-of-white-house-race-218675Politico:

'Today, I will end where I began, ready and willing to fight for the cause of Liberty,' the Kentucky senator said.

Alex Isenstadt and Shane Goldmacher

02/03/16

Rand Paul dropped out of the 2016 president race on Wednesday, short on cash and support, two days after finishing with under 5 percent in the Iowa caucuses — less than one quarter of the support his father had drawn four years earlier.

The Kentucky senator, who pitched his libertarian-infused brand of conservatism as transformational for the Republican Party, will exit the national stage and instead run for reelection to the Senate. His moment in the 2016 campaign never materialized.

“Brushfires of Liberty were ignited, and those will carry on, as will I,” Paul said in a statement.

Paul told senior staff about his decision on Tuesday. Other staff were notified Tuesday evening and the entire Paul campaign was told via a conference call on Wednesday morning at about 8:45, according to a campaign source. In that call the Kentucky senator talked about smaller government, continuing his fight for "liberty" and the Fourth Amendment.

(Snip)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good. Now Win Your Senate Seat.

• Like 1

Good for him.. I hope others follow suit soon.

FYI

Next One To Drop? Santorum To 'Reassess' Presidential Bid

Matt Vespa

Feb 03, 2016

While Sen. Rick Santorum eked out a win over Gov. Mitt Romney in the 2012 Republican Iowa Caucuses, he could not repeat his success. The former Pennsylvania Senator finished second to last at 11th place with one percent of the vote. Former Republican Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore was last with zero, but he did manage to get 12 people to vote for him.

Now, the Santorum camp is reassessing their campaign after Monday night’s results (via Des Moines Register):

We are going to spend a couple of days just thinking and praying, and figure out what we are going to do, and we will make a decision,” Santorum told The Des Moines Register after addressing about 30 supporters at the Hilton Garden Inn in Johnston

After Iowa, Santorum had planned to focus on the Feb. 20 South Carolina Republican presidential primary, where he has scheduled a 46-county campaign tour starting Wednesday. But those plans could be in jeopardy after Monday night.

(Snip)