We Are Better Than This

Valin

we-are-better-than-thisHugh Hewitt Blog:

John Schroeder

Jan. 31 2016

The French wire service, AFP, released a story Thursday under the headline:

Vulgarity is hallmark of US presidential race

I thought about it for a minute, decided they were right, and felt my heart sink to the bottom of my gut. That may be the single most visible evidence of the decreasing influence of Christianity in the public sphere. Think about the definition of “vulgar:”

There should be nothing ordinary about the United States of America and there certainly is nothing ordinary about Christians. The Apostle Paul urged the Christians in Rome, “to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.”

That is anything but ordinary.

That vulgarity is what “plays” in this cycle is a sign that this really is an election about anger. We have all these negative emotions and we are not quite sure how best to handle them so they come out of us in ways that end up sounding angry. Let’s face it, when we are angry, we are usually vulgar. And since politicians are trying to appeal to us in our current state they are going to sound like us, hence vulgarity becomes a “hallmark” of this cycle.

(Snip)