Spike Lee Boycotts Oscars, Compares Himself to Martin Luther King, Jr.

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
spike-lee-boycotts-oscars-compares-himself-to-martin-luther-king-jrBreitbart:

Spike Lee will boycott this year’s Academy Awards after the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences nominated exclusively white actors in top categories for a second consecutive year.

In an Instagram post Monday morning, the Chi-Raq director said he meant “no disrespect” toward ceremony host Chris Rock and Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs, but felt compelled to act after seeing this year’s nominations.

“How is it possible for the second consecutive year all 20 contenders under the acting category are white?” Lee wrote in a lengthy post. “And let’s not even get into the other branches. Forty white actors in two years and flava at all. We can’t act?! WTF!!”

Lee added that it was “no coincidence” that he made his boycott announcement on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Dr. King said, ‘There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it’s right,’” Lee wrote. “For too many years, when the Oscar nominations are revealed, my office phone rings off the hook with the media asking me my opinion about the lack of African-Americans and this year was no different. For once (maybe), I would like the media to ask all the white nominees and studio heads how they feel about another all-white ballot. If someone has addressed this and I missed it then I stand mistaken.

The #OscarsSoWhite controversy, which emerged for the first time last year, was renewed again last week when critics pointed out that films featuring black actors — Concussion, Straight Outta Compton, Beasts of No Nation, Creed — had failed to garner any acting nominations for its stars.

________

Because nothing says being held down by the man like an award-winning multimillionaire complaining about not winning anything.