Danger ahead for conservatives? Do you support a Constitutional Convention of States to Amend the US Constitution?

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

danger-ahead-conservatives-support-constitutional-convention-states-amend-us-constitution:
Danger ahead for conservatives? Do you support a Constitutional Convention of States to Amend the US Constitution?

By: gawken (Diary) | December 31st, 2015 at 09:24 AM

It seems that an idea that has gained traction recently in some conservative circles…to call for a convention of the states for the purposes of amending the Constitution, has just been endorsed by one of the leading contenders for the GOP presidential nomination.

According to a Washington Times story…..

“One of the things I’m going to do on my first day in office: I will announce that I am a supporter, and as president I will put the weight of the presidency behind a constitutional convention of the states so we can pass term limits on members of Congress and the Supreme Court and so we can pass a balanced budget amendment,” Mr. Rubio said in Iowa.

Given that all of the other GOP candidates, including Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) 100%, have already expressed support for the idea, is it possible that Rubio’s climbing aboard the bandwagon might be an attempt to further his conservative “bona fides,” Scissors-32x32.png

Draggingtree

National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.

The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NPVIC) is an agreement among severalU.S. states plus the District of Columbia to award all their respective electoral votes to whichever presidential candidate wins the popular vote nationwide. The compact is designed to ensure that the candidate who wins the most popular votes nationwide is elected president.[2][3](Currently, a candidate could lose the popular vote nationally but still win the presidency with Electoral College votes.)[4]The compact has not yet come into effect. As of January 2016, it had been joined by ten states and the District of Columbia; their 165 combined electoral votes amount to 30.7% of the total Electoral College vote, and 61.1% of the 270 votes needed for it to have legal force. Scissors-32x32.pnghttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact