Valin

speaker-paul-ryan-end-2015-start-new-era-houseHugh Hewitt Show:

Hugh Hewitt

Monday, December 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb5fwhChDXs

or

Audio

(Snip)

HH: I want to turn to the Omnibus, Speaker Ryan. I had an old friend, Bud the Contractor, one of my closest friends, and he was in the studio earlier today, he doesn’t like the Omnibus. And I said to him, Bud, how many times have you taken over a remodel where everything is screwed up, and you’re doing a kitchen and a dining room, and the new owner says just get it done, I’ve got people coming in for the holidays, no matter what it takes. It’s over budget, it’s screwed up, just get it done. Is that what this Omnibus was, just get it done?

PR: That’s a really good way of putting it, actually. I never thought about it that way. Yeah, I mean, look, you all know that I inherited this kind of a process. I hate Omnibus as well. I don’t think it’s the way government should work. Given that, I think we made the best of a situation. We got the military funding done the way we wanted it to get done, which was our highest priority. We got pro-life riders. We got the oil export ban lifted permanently, something we’ve been trying to do for decades. We got permanent tax relief for families and small businesses. We put a stop on the IRS and their ability to use the IRS as a political weapon to meddle in campaigns like they did in 2012. I can go on and on. We didn’t get every win we wanted, but the wins we are still looking for, say, Planned Parenthood, we’ve got that in our reconciliation bill, which the Senate can’t filibuster. We’re going to have that vote when we return from the Christmas break. The Senate’s going to be taking up Syria refugee legislation, which we sent over to the Senate. So we’re advancing on all of the things that we believe in. I don’t think an Omnibus is a good approach. That’s why passing this Omnibus helps us get back to what we call regular order, where we are considering these spending bills individually on their own merits, one at a time next year. And that is the kind of system that we ought to have. It’s the way the founders designed it, and that’s what I’m most excited about getting onto early in 2016.

(Snip)

HH: Now Speaker Ryan, one of my closest friends in this business is Mark Levin. He’s a true patriot. He’s the Thomas Paine of our time. He’s very upset with the deal. You’ve got a lot of conservative critics. I think it’s essential that you talk to everyone and keep answering their questions, and I think you’re doing that. Are you committed throughout 2016 to talk to your critics?

PR: Absolutely. Yeah, I’m talking to, doing radio tomorrow morning as well. Look, I’m a fan of Mark’s as well. He’s particularly not a fan of mine at this point, I guess, but nevertheless, I’m actually a fan of his. There’s one provision that I think has been so misconstrued, so misinformed and distorted, which is the H-2B visa program. This is a very small provision that was passed in the Homeland Security Appropriations Bill last July. It received unanimous Republican votes in the committee. It’s been sitting out there in the light of day since July. And according to the Congressional Budget Office, it would result in less than 10,000 temporary workers coming to America next year for those industries that have work shortages, like surging industries that are seasonal, seafood processing in Chesapeake Bay, the seafood processing industry in Maine, the tourism industry in northern states, or the nursery industry in northern states. These are businesses last year that couldn’t find American workers, and wanted to bring their returning workers who are seasonal back so that their businesses didn’t shut down. It will result in less than 10,000 workers next year, according to the Congressional Budget Office, and it’s a one year provision, and it was passed with unanimous Republican votes in the House Appropriations Committee back in July. And so I think people are blowing a lot of distortions through the system rippling around the internet, saying that it quadruples, or that it brings in all these new workers. It doesn’t do that. But you know, that’s the problem. When you’re doing such big legislation, lots of misinformation will get carried around the internet, and people will base their information on that. They’re basing their opinions on that. And so I think when you see the dust settling, when you see that the misinformation is sort of leveled with the facts that we’ve got the oil export ban, we’ve got the military what they needed, we crimped the IRS, we got our pro-life riders, we got a lot of good conservative wins, not nearly as many as we wanted, but we got some good conservative wins. And we’re going to pick up and start where we left off next year to keep going.

(Snip)

These interviews make me feel better. Paul Ryan deserves more time before we judge him. 7 weeks is definitely not enough time.

Apparently it is for some.