Graham: My wing of the party has 'collapsed'

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
2578850Washington Examiner:

Sen. Lindsey Graham admitted on the same day he dropped out of the 2016 presidential race that the more moderate wing of the Republican Party is a thing of the past.

"What's happened here is sort of my lane of the party has collapsed," Graham said in an interview with CNN's Kate Bolduan, when asked why he isn't holding out until the South Carolina primary on February 20th.

"At the end of the day, I'm not going to be competitive in my state if I'm not competitive outside my state," Graham said, noting that he was once a front-runner in the state. "South Carolina's been incredibly good to me. I would be competitive in South Carolina, but I've got to show traction outside the state."

Graham was the only Republican in the race who supported a path to citizenship for the nation's 11 million illegal immigrants, putting him at odds with many other candidates and many Republican voters who oppose the Democrats' efforts to secure a path to citizenship. Despite that position, Graham opposed "birthright citizenship," and was also known for his hawkish proposals for fighting the Islamic State and other terrorist groups.

________

Graham gone.