Black Businessman Cries Racism After City Denies Restaurant Permit

Valin

black-businessman-cries-racism-after-city-denies-restaurant-permitPJ Media:

Walter Hudson

December 21, 2015

As a city council member, I have seen my share of projects blocked by arbitrary zoning laws. The premise behind zoning varies wildly depending upon whom you ask. For some, it's a way to ensure that a toxic waste dump doesn't end up next to your house. Nevermind the likelihood of something like that actually happening. For others, it's a way to ensure that the "character of the neighborhood" is preserved.

This latter objective rubs me the wrong way. What is the character of a neighborhood? Who determines it? What claim does a group of neighbors have over an individual property owner?

A black businessman attempting to open a restaurant in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, ran into the "character of the neighborhood" roadblock. As reported by the Minneapolis Star Tribune, he's crying foul:

(Snip)

Whether or not DeWalt has been discriminated against on account of his race, the fact remains that zoning laws enable such discrimination. Limits on multi-housing units are explicitly intended to keep "a certain type" out of the community, people "who can't afford it." But when the only reason a would-be resident can't afford to live in your city is because you're blocking a free-market development, affordability ceases to be the issue.

(Snip)