Ryan gets a pass on Boehner-like spending bill

Geee

2578593Washington Examiner:

Conservatives who oppose the spending package presented this week by Speaker Paul Ryan are willing to give their new boss a pass so far, even though the Democrat-friendly deal might have led to a revolt under his predecessor, John Boehner.

"I know Paul Ryan is more likely to get this through than if Boehner stayed around," Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., told the Washington Examiner. "Because everyone is going to give him a little extra room to get over this first hump."

For conservatives, there is little to like in the $1.1 trillion package. It busts mandatory spending caps by $80 billion over two years, and excludes policy riders that were conservative priorities, including a halt to President Obama's Syrian refugee resettlement program and and end to taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood.

The deal also raises the caps for H-2B visas, which will allow in more low-wage foreign workers much to the dismay of conservatives, who say the provision constitutes a major change to immigration law.Scissors-32x32.png

House Conservatives Deride Spending Bill for Not Including Conservative Priorities
Philip Wegmann
December 16, 2015

Conservative House lawmakers aren’t happy about the omnibus spending bill released early Wednesday morning.

“Sadly, this bill does not adequately address the security issue, nor does it have the common sense, widely-supported pro-life riders that we suggested,” said Rep. Jim Jordan, an Ohio Republican and chairman of the House Freedom Caucus, in a statement.

Jordan was referring to two top conservative policy rider priorities: establishing stricter security protocols for Syrian and Iraqi refugees to the U.S. and defunding Planned Parenthood.

Without a rider to curb Syrian refugees, Rep. Dave Brat, R-Va., called the omnibus “a total disaster from a national security perspective.”

Conservative opposition to the spending bill wasn’t inevitable. Rep. John Fleming, R-La., told The Daily Signal that the right combination of policy riders may have induced conservative support.

“I think the more riders that could have been added, the more you would’ve peeled Freedom Caucus members to support the bill,” he speculated.

At a Wednesday press conference, House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., tried to soothe frustration, saying that “in a divided government, no one gets exactly what they want.” But the speaker trumpeted the deal as “a big win for our manufacturers and for our foreign policy.”

(Snip)

This is discouraging.

I was not encouraged by it either, but I am holding judgement till we go through a fresh year and see what happens.

This is discouraging.

I was not encouraged by it either, but I am holding judgement till we go through a fresh year and see what happens.

Well Said.

• Like 2

Hopefully analysis I've seen is wrong that it provides for the climate agreement and helps prop up O'care. PP funding was a given based on R's not wanting to rock the boat.

Ryan promises vote next month to roll back ObamaCare

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Thursday that House members will vote on a rollback of ObamaCare as one of their first acts of 2016.

“When we return in January, the House will put an ObamaCare repeal bill on the floor and pass it and put it on the president’s desk,” Ryan told reporters Thursday. “We are going to keep working to give families relief from this law while we work to dismantle and replace it altogether."

The vote on the legislation, which has already passed the Senate, will set up a veto battle with the White House just ahead of the State of the Union address.

After its passage, President Obama would have 10 days to veto the bill. Lawmakers' vote to override Obama’s veto is doomed to fail and would take place on Jan. 26, The Associated Press reported Thursday.

The bill is the product of months of work by GOP chairmen in both chambers to repeal as much of ObamaCare as possible through an obscure budget process known as reconciliation.

Reconciliation, which can only be done when one party controls both chambers, allows Republicans to send a bill intended to dismantle ObamaCare to the president’s desk for the first time. Unlike other legislation, a reconciliation bill can be passed with just 51 votes in the Senate.

While the bill does not fully repeal the law, it would eliminate the most significant pieces, including requirements for everyone to buy health insurance and most businesses to offer it.Scissors-32x32.png

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/263589-ryan-promises-vote-to-roll-back-obamacare-next-month

Hopefully analysis I've seen is wrong that it provides for the climate agreement and helps prop up O'care. PP funding was a given based on R's not wanting to rock the boat.

Like I said, I was disappointed. If it was other than Ryan, I might be completely discouraged. But, if someone inherits a house that is a wreck - you can't visit a month later and complain that it is not fixed yet. Like I said - if things don't go better as the year goes on, I will be really discouraged and I will be sad that he is not the man I think he is.

House OKs more than $600B in tax cuts

The House approved a $620 billion deal Thursday that solidifies a laundry list of tax breaks for businesses and families while pausing Obamacare’s tax on medical device sales, part of a one-two punch against the overhaul as Congress scrambles to finish its work before the year ends.

Republicans carried the tax bill to passage, 318-109, though dozens of Democrats still supported the bill that House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi called a massive Christmas present for corporate interests.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/17/house-oks-more-600b-tax-cuts/