Ryan’s Policy Vision

Valin

ryans-policy-vision-yuval-levinNational Review/The Corner:

Yuval Levin

December 3, 2015

As Ramesh notes below, with regard to the budget reconciliation process, both observers of the congress and some congressional Republicans have for too long implicitly viewed the passage of legislation not likely to be signed by the president as something like a waste of time. Rather than a way to develop a concrete agenda, build support for it, and show the public where Republicans stand, making the case for a conservative agenda has been seen as some kind of Kabuki Theater.

The ongoing reconciliation process is one sign that this attitude may be changing. Paul Ryan offered another such sign in a speech he delivered today about his approach to policy, as the new Speaker of the House.

Ryan first made the case for thinking in concrete policy terms in Congress, even heading into a presidential election year:

(Snip)

There is reason for hope—especially for conservatives. The world is proving us right. Technology is making life more decentralized. The old, top-down formulas just won’t do. For a long time, the Left has thought that if you want to solve a problem, you get a group of highly trained experts to come up with an answer and impose it on the country. Nowadays, most of us would agree, that’s the last thing you should do. The world moves just too fast. Government is always a step behind. So oddly enough, it is the progressives who are stuck in the past.

(Snip)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

To bad he's a cheeshead. @Geee tongue.png

@Valin smile.pngwink.png _ I have noticed the new beard look. Perhaps we had better check to see if he's been to the Middle East latelyohmy.pngwink.png

Or Deer Hunting Season....its a guy thing. cool.png

• Like 1

@Valin smile.pngwink.png _ I have noticed the new beard look. Perhaps we had better check to see if he's been to the Middle East latelyohmy.pngwink.png

Or Deer Hunting Season....its a guy thing. cool.png

You don't have to tell me about beards and deer hunting - I'm a Cheesehead after allwink.png

• Like 1

Beard or no beard, I really like this young man and am deeply grateful he took this job he didn't want.

Sometimes you just have ignore all the background noise and trust a person's character.

• Like 1

Beard or no beard, I really like this young man and am deeply grateful he took this job he didn't want.

Sometimes you just have ignore all the background noise and trust a person's character.

Recall the hue and cry from certain sectors of The Right, when he was running for Speaker?

Recall the hue and cry from certain sectors of The Right, when he was running for Speaker?

That's the 'background noise" I was referring tosmile.png