Secret Service head apologizes for agents snooping on rep's files; dozens disciplined

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
?intcmp=hplnwsFox News:

The Secret Service director, appearing deeply embarrassed, apologized again Tuesday for actions of agents working under him and told Congress that dozens were being disciplined for their efforts to discredit a congressman investigating misconduct inside the agency.

Director Joseph P. Clancy appeared contrite and described the problems identified by the Homeland Security Department's inspector general as "inexcusable and unacceptable." Clancy testified during an unusual joint oversight hearing for both House and Senate Homeland Security committees. The hearing focused on agents who looked into the background of Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, who was investigating Secret Service misconduct.

"I would like to publicly renew my apology for this breach of trust and affirm my commitment to restoring it," Clancy told lawmakers, who complained about what they said was a "deeply rooted cultural problem."

The inspector general, John Roth, said at least 40 agents, including supervisors, had reviewed private information about Chaffetz, including his unsuccessful job application to the agency in 2003, and circulated it among news organizations. One agent had pulled the material just minutes after Chaffetz had convened a hearing in March about an alleged drunken incident near the White House involving two senior agents.

________

The Secret Disservice.