Oh, snap: Campus kids drop 'triggering' applause to show approval

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
?intcmp=hpbt3Fox News:

The social justice warriors of American campuses would like you to hold your applause.

When a Yale student's angry meltdown at a professor went viral, viewers may have noticed the crowd gathered and some students snapping their fingers. It's the currently preferred method of showing approval in some circles, given complaints that traditional clapping can be "triggering," or even painful to hands unaccustomed to work. Although the curious digital trend is catching fire with the college crowd, it is not new or confined to the U.S.

“I see it in discussion-based classes," Brown University student Cara Dorris wrote in 2013 in her school newspaper. "When people hear an idea they agree with, they will start to snap.”

Tuition-paying parents may not fully appreciate the snaps of approval they earn for writing checks, but the adults of academia get it.

“I’ve made an effort to study the finger-snapping behavior, and I’ve reached an early conclusion,” Amherst Prof. Ilan Stavans, who teaches Latin American and Latino culture, wrote in a post for the Chronicle of Higher Education. “Finger-snapping is done delicately, respectfully, democratically, always in the middle of an event. Hand-clapping, which is by definition louder and more disruptive, is invariably reserved for the end."

________

Trigger fingers?