Faisal Khan closes office with parting shots at mayor, council

Valin

files-hands-feds-legislative-ig-faisal-khan-closes-office-parting-shots-mayor-aldermenChicago Sun-Times:

Fran Spielman

11/16/2015

After convincing the FBI to seize and secure his investigative records, Legislative Inspector General Faisal Khan closed his office Monday with parting shots at Mayor Rahm Emanuel and a City Council that, as Paddy Bauler once famously said, “ain’t ready for reform.”

“The system was rigged from Day One. This office was designed to fail intentionally and the only people who did not get the memo were me and my staff. I do not believe the Council really wants any type of oversight at all,” Khan said, citing investigative rules that tied his hands.

“If they were not happy with me, they should have had my replacement ready to go. Instead of packing up the files, I should be transferring them to my successor. The real goal was to end oversight. The mayor made a number of promises that oversight would not go away. Yet here we are starting [Tuesday] with no oversight. It’s an incredible disappointment that it came to this.”

Khan said it was at his request that FBI agents armed with a subpoena arrived at his office late Friday to haul away computers and hard copies of his investigative files.

(Snip)