EMP: A Real Threat to the United States

Geee

emp-real-threat-united-statesHeartland:

While the world’s governments spend billions of dollars a year trying to prevent or mitigate a probably imaginary change in global temperature a century or more in the future, a very real threat is going largely unnoticed. An electromagnetic pulse attack (EMP), executed by exploding a single nuclear bomb 300 miles above Kansas, could paralyze all of North America.

There would be no blast damage, because the bomb would explode in airless space 300 miles above Earth’s surface. The gamma rays released would interact with the upper atmosphere and the Earth’s magnetic field to create several types of electromagnetic pulses. Likely there would be great damage to all types of computer equipment. Very high voltage transformers essential to the distribution of electricity could be damaged beyond repair. This would disable the electric grid for a year or more.

A natural EMP can also be created by a solar storm. There were natural EMPs in 1859, 1921, and 1989. A natural EMP does not harm computers, but it does put the electrical grid transformers at risk, possibly causing a loss of electricity for years.

Today almost all infrastructure is controlled by computers, which means an EMP could take out water and sewage systems, food distribution, ATMs, credit card networks, transportation, and other elements of modern life. Much of the population could find themselves in desperate circumstances.Scissors-32x32.png

Don't we have enough to worry about already?

Nope - bacon and beef are going to kill us too!!! Maureen O'Hara died peacefully in her sleep this weekend. Can I vote for that??wink.png

• Like 1

The dinner conversation with friends of my daughter while I was in Portland was worrying about the possibility of an earthquake covering both WA and OR. Much to my surprise neighborhood groups have organized to share their resources in case this happens. I tried to tell them a terror attack shutting down the electrical grid or some other cyber attack was just as possible if not far more likely, but I only elicited glazed eyeballs. I guess terrorism isn't an issue in the Pacific NW.