Let Me Not to the Marriage of a Man and a Woman Admit Impediment

Draggingtree

let-me-not-to-the-marriage-of-a-man-and-a-woman-admit-impedimentP J Media: Let Me Not to the Marriage of a Man and a Woman Admit Impediment

Traditional marriage is the bedrock of a healthy society.

by David Solway October 24, 2015 - 10:43 pm

I was stunned the other day to receive an email from a close friend of many years, ending a friendship I had thought proof against time and circumstance. My correspondent, who is gay, objected furiously to a passing comment my wife had posted on Facebook to the effect that Christian businesses were being driven into the ground for abiding by their religious convictions and that gay activists had gone from asking for acceptance and tolerance, which is perfectly right and proper, to jubilating over the legislated ratification of gay marriage.

Her remark was too much for him. In a flourish of sanctimoniousness, he pontificated: “I simply can’t call somebody a friend who thinks that a Supreme Court decision saying that I am your equal, and that my marriage is equal to yours, is an obscenity”—though the word “obscenity” had never been used or remotely suggested. He continued in a breathtaking leap of paranoid irrationality that we now regarded same-sex marriage as “on the same scale as jihad.” Finally, he informed me that he was not interested in debating his “humanity and equality.” Scissors-32x32.png