Six Myths That Are Killing the Republican Party

Draggingtree

six-myths-that-are-killing-the-republican-party:

Six Myths That Are Killing the Republican Party

October 14, 2015

shutterstock_223329292-e1444831180821.jp1. Tax Cuts Are a Slam-Dunk Win

There’s an old saying that “God put the Republican Party on Earth to cut taxes.” But there’s also an old saying that goes “You can’t call a frying pan a Studebaker and expect me to skip church,” which is just about as relevant to the modern voter.

Tax cuts may be good policy. But tax cuts in and of themselves are not the electoral tonic they were back in the 1980s. Why? Because 45% of Americans don’t pay income taxes and, therefore, have nothing to gain from Republican tax cut plans.

When Republicans try to explain how tax cuts are good for the economy, it usually goes something like “Tax cuts are good for the economy [mic drop].” Scissors-32x32.png

ix98J2d.jpg
One More Doom Despair Article.

Oh Yes The Party Is Doomed!

2. All Foreign “Trade Deals” Must Be Supported Without Question Because Free Trade Has Absolutely No Downside for Anybody. Ever. (Except Unions. Maybe.)

1. Middle class wages have stagnated and declined since NAFTA;
1. American manufacturing has declined since NAFTA; and

From The Comments

MBF
I consider myself an “American worker” and I fully support free trade. Pandering on this issue might be good politics, I don’t know, but it’s not good economics and barriers to trade will make “American workers” poorer and won’t save “manufacturing jobs.”
I don’t work on Wall Street, I’m not an economist, and I will never vote for Jeb Bush. I just don’t think the supposedly conservative party should be pushing feel-good, populist narratives that are guaranteed to reduce the standard of living for all of us.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Problem with the No Trade Dealers is, it appears they think (and I use Think in its loosest sense), 1955 is the normal way the world should operate, and thisis normallity. News Flash!!!: Its not 1955..1965..1985 any more, the rest of the world has recovered from WWII (This Is A Good Thing). We are now smack dab in the middle of the 4th expansion of (cue the theme from Jaws) Globalization..ie world wide trade...deal with it!. Right now today there are fewer poor people than any time in the 6,000 years of recorded history. A major reason this is happening is globalization. (as a small aside, I've spent my adult life working on the factory floor making stuff, let me tell ya it pretty much sucks, standing in front of a 1900 degree furnace heating steel rods to make bolts is not something you want to spend a lot of time doing...trust me).

1. When I started at Donaldsons 1997 making filters, I would process around 3,000 feet of media a shift. When they moved the plant to Dixon Ill 2010, Dan & I were doing 20,000 feet a shift. Figure it out.

This also is part of the Hinge of History, The days of being able to make a good living with a strong back and a weak mind are Gone, and anyone who has read any history knows this was a brief period of time (say 60 years) here.

• Like 1