Gov. Walker to suspend 2016 campaign, Fox News confirms

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
?intcmp=hpbt1#Fox News:

DEVELOPING: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, once a leading candidate in the Republican presidential race, will announce Monday that he is suspending his campaign, Fox News confirms.

Walker once was leading in some polls, but has seen his position in the polls deteriorate amid the rise of front-runner Donald Trump and a number of missteps from the candidate himself.

The decision is expected to be announced at a press conference at 6 p.m. ET.

He becomes to second GOP candidate to suspend his campaign, following former Gov. Rick Perry.

________

Walker won't run anymore.

Love the Guv, but he was not ready yet and appeared out of his league with the other candidates. Like a small fish in a big pond.He has done great things for this State, but I didn't get a National feel from him. Hopefully he will prove him self ready for prime time by doing more great things in this State.

• Like 3

Love the Guv, but he was not ready yet and appeared out of his league with the other candidates. Like a small fish in a big pond.He has done great things for this State, but I didn't get a National feel from him. Hopefully he will prove him self ready for prime time by doing more great things in this State.

VP?

Farewell to Scott Walker [With comments by Paul and John]

Steven Hayward

September 21, 2015

It is unfortunate that Scott Walker is dropping out of the race, but I’m not surprised as this turn of events. He is this cycle’s Rick Perry: a solid governor with a strong record on which to run, but not adequately prepared for the heightened pressure and scrutiny of a presidential race. Governors make the mistake of thinking that entering the presidential field is like moving up from Triple-A baseball to the big leagues. No—it is an order of magnitude harder than that.

(Snip)

OHN adds: I, too, am sorry to see Walker go. I think it is unfortunate that the first two candidates to drop out of the race–Rick Perry and Scott Walker–came from what would should be the most promising category: solid conservatives with excellent track records as governor. It is counter-intuitive, to say the least, that Perry and Walker are gone, while Rick Santorum, John Kasich, George Pataki and Jim Gilmore are still in the race. Not to mention Donald Trump.

Walker is getting criticized as a candidate, and I guess his failure to register in the polls speaks for itself. But I saw him speak to a large room full of conservatives last spring, and he blew the crowd away. It was a sharp contrast with the first time I saw him, during the recall campaign, when he was excellent substantively but dull. I think he has, actually, improved a great deal as a candidate, but evidently not enough, like Perry.

When candidates drop out this early, I think it is usually because their money has dried up. I have no idea who is funding Kasich, Gilmore et al., but apparently Walker’s donors were not willing to continue. Or maybe there weren’t enough in the first place. In any event, the early demise of Perry and Walker is consistent with the oft-heard complaint that our nominating process is not well suited to selecting the person who would make the best president.

VP?

Guess that's up to the guy who gets the top spot, but again, whoever that is has got a lot to choose from and will probably take vote getting in to account.

VP?

Guess that's up to the guy who gets the top spot, but again, whoever that is has got a lot to choose from and will probably take vote getting in to account.

One way or the other we have not heard the last of young Scott.

So my top two guys are out...

I have an almost unbroken record of my guy losing...Newt...Rudy...Steve Forbes.

DT has sucked so must oxygen out of the room.

righteousmomma

He was overshadowed by the non stop Trump coverage for sure but when he did get a chance to shine, he did not. Sad.

I agree with Geee

"Love the Guv, but he was not ready yet and appeared out of his league with the other candidates. Like a small fish in a big pond.He has done great things for this State, but I didn't get a National feel from him. Hopefully he will prove him self ready for prime time by doing more great things in this State."

How Fox News and CNN screwed Scott Walker

Paul Mirengoff

September 22, 2015

Before we complete the post-mortems on Scott Walker’s campaign, I want to note how unfairly he was treated during the debates. According to Nate Silver, Walker spoke for only 13.7 minutes in the two debates. This was the the least for any candidate on the main stage in both events. It was less than half the time Donald Trump spoke. It was ten minutes less than Jeb Bush spoke. It was almost five minutes less than Chris Christie — whose poll numbers were barely sufficient to get him on the stage — spoke.

(Snip)

I don’t claim that Walker’s problems were limited to lack of speaking time during debates. He was only intermittently inspiring on the trail and he committed several gaffes (though it isn’t obvious to me that they were worse than those of several other candidates who remain in contention). The dynamic of the race, as I argued here, was against him. But Walker arguably was only a good debate line or two from remaining in strong contention (first debate) or possibly climbing back in (second debate). After all, a few good lines, unrelated to policy by the way, were sufficient for Ben Carson.

(Snip)

I can’t think of any ideological/political explanation for this. * Perhaps they just didn’t consider Walker entertaining enough.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Valid Point!

VP?

Nix

How Fox News and CNN screwed Scott Walker

Paul Mirengoff

September 22, 2015

Before we complete the post-mortems on Scott Walker’s campaign, I want to note how unfairly he was treated during the debates. According to Nate Silver, Walker spoke for only 13.7 minutes in the two debates. This was the the least for any candidate on the main stage in both events. It was less than half the time Donald Trump spoke. It was ten minutes less than Jeb Bush spoke. It was almost five minutes less than Chris Christie — whose poll numbers were barely sufficient to get him on the stage — spoke.

(Snip)

I don’t claim that Walker’s problems were limited to lack of speaking time during debates. He was only intermittently inspiring on the trail and he committed several gaffes (though it isn’t obvious to me that they were worse than those of several other candidates who remain in contention). The dynamic of the race, as I argued here, was against him. But Walker arguably was only a good debate line or two from remaining in strong contention (first debate) or possibly climbing back in (second debate). After all, a few good lines, unrelated to policy by the way, were sufficient for Ben Carson.

(Snip)

I can’t think of any ideological/political explanation for this. * Perhaps they just didn’t consider Walker entertaining enough.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Valid Point!

Yes it is, but many of the others fought for time if they thought they were being short-changed. Walker didn't seem able to do that, or maybe didn't shout for attention loudly enough. I'm sorry to see him out, but I think he was right in suggesting that some others follow his and Rick Perry's lead.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...