Michael Barone: Two Impossible Things Could Happen In '16

Geee

082715-768528-michael-barone-two-impossible-things-that-might-happen-in-2016-race.htmInvestors Business Daily:

'One can't believe impossible things," Alice objected "I daresay you haven't had much practice," the Red Queen replied. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

You may be reading this sometime after breakfast, and six is a pretty large number of impossible things. But looking at developments in the 2016 campaign, I can see two impossible things — impossible in the sense that almost every pundit (including me) ruled them out — that might happen in the weeks and months ahead.

The first impossible thing is that Hillary Clinton might stop being the undisputed front-runner for the Democratic nomination.

There have been two good reasons for believing this to be impossible. One is that even in the swirl of the email controversy, a very large majority of self-identified Democrats continue to have positive feelings about Clinton. That includes the 25% or so nationally and the 40% or so in New Hampshire who say they'd vote for Bernie Sanders right now.

That shows one Democratic constituency — the Birkenstock Belt — is willing to consider an alternative. What would happen if another — black Democrats — should prove willing to do so as well?Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1