John Kasich on Hugh Hewitt

Valin

ohio-governor-john-kasich-on-his-momentum-the-debates-the-iran-deal-and-hillaryHugh Hewitt Show:

Aug. 11 2015

Ohio Governor John Kasich joined me on today’s show:

Audio

(Snip)

HH: So my question is, though, really, this debate, what would you want people to see of it? I want Republican primary voters…

JK: Well, I don’t think debates are a way to pick a president, okay, to being with. I mean, I’m in New Hampshire today. I had an hour meeting with one group. I’m going to do a town hall tonight. It’ll be another hour. And you know, you remember Moses? Moses said to God, well you know, I don’t think I can lead this. I can’t even speak, and that’s how Aaron came on the scene, right? So I don’t think we judge our leaders by whether they can give a clever answer to a question or how they perform in a debate, but that’s kind of what we have. But fortunately, at the end of the day, the people that emerge are the ones that I think have substance and experience. But you know, so I mean, debates are part of it, but I don’t think it’s the most effective way to pick a leader.

HH: Now…

JK: Look, Hugh, in my state, we’ve had many problems, many challenges. We thought we had Ebola. We had a water crisis in Toledo. God forbid, you know, we had a terrible situation with a shooting in a school. We had a prison escape. None of these things get decided in a minute. They all get decided on the basis of having a good team of people, and thinking through the problems and trying to design solutions. And that’s, but that’s not the way we’re going to do it in the 21st Century.

(Snip)

• 2 weeks later...

Ohio Governor John Kasich On His Pro-Life Credentials, The Growing Threat Of Radicalization Of Young Muslims, And Picking Judges
Hugh Hewitt

Friday, August 21, 2015

Audio

HH: I begin today with a guest who has confounded the Wall Street Journal. Peggy Noonan writing about my guest that, praising him for “being alive and responsive to actual crises in American society, for having an unembarrassed heart”, at the same time, the Wall Street Journal’s Kim Strassel today called his policies a bastardized version of compassionate conservatism, saying he’s a happy in life and God conservative that makes him seem optimistic. She also said that John Kasich is not of the Jack Kemp and Paul Ryan school of opportunity conservative, which surprised me. Governor Kasich, welcome back to the Hugh Hewitt Show.

JK: Hi, Hugh, I mean, they’re all still trying to figure out who I am, aren’t they?

HH: Well, they are. I always kind of figured you for a Jack Kemp-Paul Ryan conservative.

JK: Well, I am. I’ve been a pro-growth guy. Look, we cut, we balanced budgets and we cut taxes, and we deregulate. And Hugh, we’ve had great success in Ohio. And remember, back when I was chairman of the Budget Committee in Washington, we not only balanced the budget, but we cut the capital gains tax, and we had phenomenal economic growth. And here in Ohio, I’ve had the largest amount of tax cuts among any sitting governor in the country. And as you know, we’ve had a significant growth in the state of Ohio while we balanced budgets. So I don’t quite know, I didn’t read the column, but I don’t quite know what the problem is, but I think even, you know, frankly, I’m going to be on a radio show tomorrow with Larry Kudlow, who says I’m the only guy who’s promoting growth among the people running for president. So just to be clear…

(Snip)