Obama On Iran Nuclear Deal: It ‘Is Not Built On Trust’

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
obama-on-iran-nuclear-deal-it-is-not-built-on-trustCBS Washington:

VIENNA (CBS News/CBSDC/AP) — After 18 days of intense negotiations, the U.S. and five other world powers have reached a deal to freeze Iran’s nuclear program for the next decade in exchange for gradual sanctions relief that rolls out as Iran complies with a multi-step process.

The accord will keep Iran from producing enough material for a nuclear weapon for at least 10 years and impose new provisions for inspections of Iranian facilities, including military sites. And it marks a dramatic break from decades of animosity between the United States and Iran, countries that alternatively call each other the “leading state sponsor of terrorism” and the “the Great Satan.”

Touting the deal in an early morning news conference from the White House, President Barack Obama said one of the greatest dangers facing the U.S. today was the “risk is that nuclear weapons swill spread to more and more countries, particularly in the Middle East, the most volatile region in our world.”

Obama said Iran’s path to a nuclear weapon has been “cut off.”

“I have no doubt 10 or 15 years from now the person who holds this office will be in a far stronger position with Iran further away from a weapon and with the inspections and transparancy that allow us to monitor the Iranian program. For this reason I believe it would be irresponsible to walk away from this deal,” Obama said.

The president stated that “no deal means a greater chance of more war in the Middle East.”

“I have been president and commander in chief for over six years now. Time and again I have faced decisions about whether or not to use military force. It’s the gravest decision that any president has to make. Many times in multiple countries I have had to use force, and I will never hesitate to do so when it is in our national security interest,” Obama said. “I strongly believe that our national security interest now depends on preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, which means that without a diplomatic resolution, either I or a future U.S. president would face a decision about whether or not to allow Iran to obtain a nuclear weapon or whether or not to use our military to stop it. But simply, no deal means a greater chance of more war in the Middle East. Moreover, we give nothing up by testing whether or not this problem can be solved peacefully.”

In a message to Congress, Obama said that he will “veto any legislation that prevents the successful implementation of this deal.”

“I welcome a robust debate in Congress on this issue, and I welcome scrutiny of the details of this agreement,” Obama said. “But I will remind Congress that you don’t make deals like this with your friends.”

________

And you don't question His Majesty...