The Myth of the Extreme Right’s Rise to Power

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
the-myth-of-the-extreme-rights-rise-to-powerRicochet : The Myth of the Extreme Right’s Rise to Power

Daryl Kane July 9, 2015

Chances are you’ve heard the myth about the extreme right’s rise to power and their successful hijacking of the Republican Party. You’ve probably heard about how these Koch brother-funded radicals and their political weapon, the Tea Party, have caused a deep rift in the GOP between the reasonable old-school Republicans and this dangerous new strain of conservatism. And so — the fable goes — there was a great battle between the forces of moderate and extreme evil. Eventually the forces of extreme evil pushed the moderately evil GOP establishment to the brink of destruction and forced them to embrace their radical views as part of the party platform. And that, the story concludes, is the story of why Ronald Reagan would no longer be welcome in the Republican Party.

Only that’s not it, at all. Like most of the cute bedtime stories told to by the mainstream media to their intellectual children, this myth is not only false but completely backwards. Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1

Indeed, there is a rift between within the Republican Party, but it’s the establishment that has changed. Over the past 50 years, the left has succeeded in dragging the country leftward. So much so that many within the Republican establishment have felt it necessary to capitulate on social issues in an attempt to stay relevant.

Really? Which issues?

• Like 1

Draggingtree

Indeed, there is a rift between within the Republican Party, but it’s the establishment that has changed. Over the past 50 years, the left has succeeded in dragging the country leftward. So much so that many within the Republican establishment have felt it necessary to capitulate on social issues in an attempt to stay relevant.

Really? Which issues?

I think you are a smart man / U know the issues very well

righteousmomma

Oh, maybe capitulate is too strong a word - how about "compromise" on behalf of political correctness and being nice and getting along?

The article and the follow up comments were some of the best reads I have seen lately. Rational, reasonable , perspective based on history and times etc etc.

Some posters' comments worthy of repeat while we currently repeat history and the demise of our culture::

"If lefties were capable of learning from history, rather than repeating it, then there wouldn’t be any lefties."

"t turns out that hindsight is not 20:20. Daryl is analyzing the Republican Party of yesterday through the lens of today’s issues. But if you look at the issues that were actually in play (back in the day) a very different picture emerges.

In the 1980 election, the major issues were crime, the cold war, and the economy.

On crime, the Dem solutions were “rehabilitation” and gun control. The Republican solutions were harsher sentencing and more cops. The Republicans won the issue. A flat out rout. Minimum sentencing laws, three strikes laws, etc. Crime plummeted. By 2012, crime was barely an issue.

On the cold war, Reagan wanted to build up the military, while the Dems supported a unilateral “nuclear freeze.” Again, we won a flat out rout on the issue. Issue gone.

On the economy, Dems favored the usual Keynesian stimulus. Reagan wanted to strangle inflation and cut taxes. Again, Reagan crushed it. Rescued the economy from stagflation. Created a boom that lasted until 2008. Only since Obama was elected has Keynesian idiocy emerged from its cave of shame."

"The alleged “extremity” of the GOP is an Alinskyite talking point......"

"It is Democrats who are moving to extremes. Former ardent pro-lifer Joe Biden speaks for the party that can’t bring itself to criticize abortions at 8.5 months. Hubert Humphrey hated the idea of racial spoil system and quotas when he authored the Civil Rights bill 50 years ago–now it is dogma. Bill Clinton is now a fossil on the right-wing of his party.

e) Suggested victory lap content: Do you actually think for yourself or are you content to have your opinions shaped for you as you clearly appear to be? Feel free to disagree with my conservative politics but learn to characterize my positions (and your own) based on fact and not on cartoon contexts provided to you by malignant idiots. It’s embarrassing."

So with that last quote and living in these very sad times remember Benjamin Franklin's quote:

"We are all born ignorant but one must work hard to remain stupid"

Certainly seems to apply to much of the low information crowd of today as the full fledge assault to remove "GOD" and the Bible and rewrite history of our Country continues, as shredding the Constitution continues, as in ignoring laws that don't serve an agenda purpose. All of which give us a humanism in all its evil glory with carefully chosen "science" as god. The days of Judges had nothing on us. They did not face nuclear annihilation. They did ask for a "king" and we got one.

Thanks for an enjoyable read, Draggingtree.

• Like 2

righteousmomma

And one more quote found in the comments but by Kane the author of the piece:

"Under the current cultural climate I accept the title of social conservative.

By the paradigm created by the left a social conservative can be something as simple as a person who rejects the notion that gender and ethnicity are born from society rather than biology.

A social conservative can be a parent who objects to their children being subjected to a fisting seminar in elementary school.

By the standards defined by the academic elite, yes count me as a SoCon. Count me among those that the believe the culture war is the central battleground for the war for America.

As for whether I side more with the establishment than the tea party I can say that I support and oppose members of both sides."

• Like 1

Really? Which issues?

I think you are a smart man / U know the issues very well

No, really which issues, have flipped on? National Security...Abortion...2nd Amendment...Low Taxes....etc?