America not ready for a bioterror attack: Experts

Geee

2565486Washington Examiner:

A mistaken shipment of live anthrax may be the tip of the iceberg, as a panel of experts found the U.S. is not prepared for a large-scale chemical attack.

Preliminary findings from a blue ribbon panel studying biodefense show the U.S. doesn't have the proper infrastructure to prevent or address a bioterror, whether it be through chemical weapons or a pandemic such as the flu. Preparation for chemical attacks has been at the forefront recently after the Department of Defense admitted to shipping active anthrax to labs in 13 states and three countries.

The threat of a chemical attack is in some ways greater now than previously because "the science to synthesize these pathogens and weaponize them is becoming more sophisticated," Jim Greenwood, a member of the panel, told the Washington Examiner.

The panel, supported by the Hudson Institute think tank, includes former Department of Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge and former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle. It found it is easier for terrorists to gain access to the equipment to make chemical weapons, thanks to the Internet. The science behind making such weapons is also simplified, Greenwood said.Scissors-32x32.png

2565486:

The threat of a chemical attack is in some ways greater now than previously because "the science to synthesize these pathogens and weaponize them is becoming more sophisticated," Jim Greenwood, a member of the panel, told the Washington Examiner.

The panel, supported by the Hudson Institute think tank, includes former Department of Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge and former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle. It found it is easier for terrorists to gain access to the equipment to make chemical weapons, thanks to the Internet. The science behind making such weapons is also simplified, Greenwood said.Scissors-32x32.png

I spent 11 years working in the chemical industry. All I can say is, Be Afraid...very Afraid....terrorism aside. Companies spend a lot of time and money on safety, but Sh*t Happens.

2565486:

I spent 11 years working in the chemical industry. All I can say is, Be Afraid...very Afraid....terrorism aside. Companies spend a lot of time and money on safety, but Sh*t Happens.

Having been one of the small companies that spent a lot of time and money on safety - I say ditto. Cutting down on employees who smoke joints on their breaks helps somewhatblink.png

Having worked in the federal sector for over 38 years (now retired), I'd say the US is not prepared for any sort of coordinated attack, bio or otherwise.