We Must Continue the Debate Over Torture

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
we-must-continue-the-debate-over-tortureRicochet: We Must Continue the Debate Over Torture

Mike Rapkoch June 1, 2015

In the modern world of ever changing events, nothing — no matter how important — can long survive the shifting sands of something new. I don’t know which story pushed torture over the cliff. It might have been Charlie Hebdo. It might have been the opening of the new Congress. Perhaps it was simply that our heads were swimming in the Tsunami of ISIS and politics and the Holidays. But the debate should continue, and the arguments — pro and con — should still flood the airwaves and pepper the newspapers. That, I am sad to say, isn’t happen. Scissors-32x32.png

Which leads to the question: can waterboarding, sleep deprivation, or force feeding ever be properly used to secure information about an enemy’s intentions? In Thomas’ view, this is at the heart of the matter: Scissors-32x32.png

@Draggingtree

Which leads to the question: can waterboarding, sleep deprivation, or force feeding ever be properly used to secure information about an enemy’s intentions?

I strongly disagree with the premise of the question...that this is torture. That aside, the answer is, Yes.

OTOH...

Wholesale torture (see the French in Algeria) don't work in the long run. That is not what America did.

• Like 1