Q&A: Probing Islamic State’s sex atrocities with the United Nations

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
qa-probing-islamic-state-s-sex-atrocities-united-nations-1064004421Middle East Eye: Q&A: Probing Islamic State’s sex atrocities with the United Nations

#IslamicState

Middle East Eye speaks with Zainab Bangura, the UN envoy on sexual violence in conflict, about the latest IS crimes

By James Reinl Last update: Wednesday 27 May 2015 12:29 BST

NEW YORK, United States – A United Nations unit of sex crime investigators has probed the world’s war zones for evidence of forced marriages, slavery and mass rape since 2009. According to its head, Zainab Bangura, the Islamic State (IS) group has taken atrocities to a whole new level.

Bangura has just returned from Syria, Iraq, Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan, where she gathered data on IS sex crimes, including those against captured Yazidi women. She spoke with Middle East Eye about her trip, and how she plans to counter the group.

MEE: What did you learn on your IS fact-finder?

Bangura: During my recent five-country Middle East visit, I met officials, frontline workers and survivors. My focus was IS’s war on women, including from Yazidi, Christian and Turkmen Shia minorities.Scissors-32x32.png