Obama officials launch full-court press against Iran legislation

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
237903-obama-officials-launch-full-court-press-against-iran-legislationThe Hill:

The Obama administration has launched an aggressive sales pitch aimed at convincing Congress to hold its fire on Iran in the wake of a framework nuclear agreement.

President Obama, Vice President Biden, White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough, “and a whole host of other White House and senior administration officials” have been making calls to lawmakers, White House spokesman Eric Schultz said Friday.

The administration wants lawmakers to suspend legislation related to Iran until after June 30, the deadline for negotiators to finalize a deal on Iran’s nuclear program.

Deputy Secretary of State Tony Blinken made the media rounds Friday, telling CNN that the president wants “to move out aggressively” to work Congress and ensure lawmakers have “all the details” of the framework.

“The president has instructed us to move out aggressively to work with Congress in the weeks ahead," he said during an interview CNN. "To show them all of the details, to give them a chance to digest the details, and then to move forward with Congress.”

Though Obama has repeatedly threatened to veto any legislation that reaches his desk before the mid-year deadline, administration officials have also indicated they want to work with lawmakers to ensure they have input in the process.

Schultz said Blinken, National Security Advisor Susan Rice and Treasury Secretary Jack Lew are also taking part in the outreach campaign.

________

Panic in the Beltway?

Draggingtree

Why don’t Senate Republicans deem the Iranian “agreement” a treaty, and move directly to a ratification vote?

By: gawken (Diary) | April 3rd, 2015 at 03:03 PM

Disclaimer: Whenever I have chosen to diary at Red State, I believe I am well-versed in the subject material. In this case, I’m not that sure..I do not profess to be a Constitutional scholar….but it appears that neither is the Congress.

One of the major issues confronting our nation is the ever-increasing power of the Executive branch, and the apparent willingness of successive Congresses to abrogate their constitutional powers.

Since WW II, more than 90% of agreements between the US and other nations, what should in fact be called “treaties” have been constructed as “executive agreements,” and Congress, specifically the Senate, has accepted this unconstitutional modification of the separation of powers. Scissors-32x32.png

Speaker Pelosi wanted to “deem” that the House passed Obamacare without actually having to bother with that pesky little annoyance called a vote. Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.redstate.com/diary/gawken/2015/04/03/dont-senate-republicans-deem-iranian-agreement-treaty-move-directly-ratification-vote/