New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez indicted on corruption charges

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
?intcmp=latestnewsFox News:

New Jersey Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez was indicted Wednesday on corruption charges, accused of using his office to improperly benefit a political donor -- who allegedly offered the senator an array of perks including trips on his private jet and access to an exclusive Dominican resort.

A federal grand jury indicted the powerful senator on 14 counts, including conspiracy to commit bribery and wire fraud.

The Newark grand jury has been investigating Menendez for official actions he took on behalf of his friend Dr. Salomon Melgen. Melgen, a Florida ophthalmologist, was also indicted Wednesday.

The indictment is a blow to Menendez, who is the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and until recently was chairman, at a critical time. He has been a leading skeptic of the Obama administration's Cuba and Iran policies -- the indictment comes as the U.S. and other world powers are struggling to strike a nuclear agreement with Iran.

Menendez has acknowledged that he flew multiple times on Melgen’s private jet to the Dominican Republic and initially failed to properly pay for the trips. In 2013, Menendez agreed to reimburse Melgen $58,500 for the full cost of two flights.

________

Bob gets busted.

Menendez indicted, but why?

Paul Mirengoff

April 1, 2015

Sen. Robert Menendez was indicted today (April 1) on federal corruption charges. He is accused of using the influence of his office to advance the business interests of a longtime friend and political supporter in exchange for luxury gifts, lavish vacations, and more than $750,000 in campaign donations. The indictment is here.

The indictment comes on the heels of Menendez’s strong opposition to President Obama’s Iran policy. It also comes the same day that the government declined to indict Lois Lerner.

I take no position on whether Menendez deserves to be indicted; it may be that he does. For what it’s worth, though, I’d be surprised if Menendez is the only Senator who has engaged in the same kind of behavior the government accuses him of.

(Snip)

But ask yourself this: If a case comparable to this one, but against an Obama loyalist in the Senate, had been presented to Eric Holder, would he have signed off on an indictment? Would a case against an Obama loyalist even have percolated up to Holder? I don’t think so.

(Snip)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And here we see the problem. I and so many simply don't trust this administration.

• Like 1