Ted Cruz: 'I'm running for president'

Geee

2561880Washington Examiner:

Ted Cruz is the first candidate officially running for president in 2016.

"I'm running for President and I hope to earn your support!" Cruz announced on Twitter early Monday, a teaser to his official announcement planned at Liberty University in Virginia Monday.

"I believe in America and her people, and I believe we can stand up and restore our promise," the Texas Republican said in video released with his tweet. "It's going to take a new generation of courageous conservatives to help make America great again, and I'm ready to stand with you to lead the fight."

On Monday, Ted Cruz will be the first Republican to make his bid for president official, but going first...

Cruz is the first White House hopeful to announce his run, bypassing launching an exploratory committee and jumping right into the race.

The Houston Chronicle reported late Saturday night the 44-year-old freshman senator would officially announce his presidential run at the Christian college on Monday.Scissors-32x32.png

2561880:

That's got to be one of the worst kept secrets in politics today. Has anyone thought in the last....6 months that he wasn't running?

Now if he becomes the GOP candidate, I will support him, to be best of my ability....But we've got a one term senator who gives a good speech....seen this movie before.

Ron Rand Paul to Announce Presidential Run on April 7

Katie Pavlich

Mar 23, 2015

The 2016 Presidential election is here with Texas Senator Ted Cruz announcing a run for the White House today during a speech to Liberty University. Next week, Kentucky Senator Rand Paul is expected to kick off his own announcement with a five-state tour. More from the Washington Times:

(Snip)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That's got to be one of the worst kept secrets in politics today. Has anyone thought in the last....6 months that he wasn't running?

Now if he becomes the GOP candidate, I will support him, to be best of my ability....But we've got a one term senator who gives a good speech....seen this movie before. + There's Daddy

Gave a very good 'announcement' speech this morning.

Not ruling him in or out. Keeping my powder dry until I see each candidate against each other and how they handle 'the heat'.

As much as everyone talks about Walker having been a candidate so many times, I personally do not think he is a good debater. His opponent this time was a lightweight as far as debating, and I think it was more of a draw than anything in each debate. He will need to pick up skills to face the 'get down in the mud' people.

A lot of the people in this state are upset that he is all over the country right now after just being re-elected and so many problems are facing the legislature right now.

Gave a very good 'announcement' speech this morning.

Not ruling him in or out. Keeping my powder dry until I see each candidate against each other and how they handle 'the heat'.

It's March 2015....Talk to me in December, I may have made up my mind. Right now knee jerk reaction is to go for a governor....someone who has actually done something....besides give a good speech.

• Like 1

THE TEXAS REAGAN ANNOUNCES FOR PRESIDENT

Texas Senator Ted Cruz is announcing today that he is a candidate for president.

The announcement will come in a speech at Liberty University, the famous Virginia school founded by the late Rev. Jerry Falwell. There will be no “exploratory committee,” with Cruz moving straight to an announcement of candidacy. This will make the Texas son of a Cuban immigrant and one-time star of Harvard Law School the first officially declared candidate for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.

In a conversation with The American Spectator, Cruz made it plain that he intends to pursue a 21st-century version of the insurgency strategy pioneered by the late Ronald Reagan. Bringing together the Reagan wing of the GOP that is composed of national security, social, pro-growth, and libertarian conservatives. The Reagan coalition broadened the base of the party to bring in everyone from evangelicals to women to union workers to Latinos. Reagan’s nomination battles in both 1976 (when he almost defeated GOP Establishment favorite and sitting president Gerald Ford) and 1980 (when he defeated Establishment favorite George H.W. Bush) summoned a virtual army of supporters who had previously never spent a day in politics.

This would be well in keeping with Cruz’s record in the Senate, where Cruz has stood in decidedly Reagan-style against the Republican Washington Establishment, notably with his bold plan to defund Obamacare in 2013. That line-in-the-sand tactic, something Reagan used repeatedly as candidate and president to draw a bright red line between Republicans and Democrats, was furiously assaulted by many of Cruz’s Republican Senate colleagues and most of the Establishment GOP, with some GOP senators going out of their way to deliberately sabotage the Cruz effort to defund the highly unpopular mandatory health program. Scissors-32x32.png

http://spectator.org/articles/62149/texas-reagan-announces-president

Is There a Realistic Ted Cruz Scenario?

A broad cross-section of Republican officeholders, major donors and conservative pundits are agreed on one thing: Ted Cruz has no chance to be elected president. The junior senator from Texas marked the fifth anniversary of the signing of ObamaCare by announcing his candidacy for the presidency today at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia and no one in the chattering classes thinks he has a prayer of being sworn into office as commander-in-chief in January 2017. Just about everyone thinks his positions on the issues are too extreme and that his advocacy of the 2013 government shutdown and the complete antipathy of the rest of the Senate and the party establishment make it impossible for him to win. Even those who sympathize with his politics tend to agree that he just isn’t likeable enough to gain his party’s nomination, let alone win a general election against a Democrat. But his detractors need to understand something. As his announcement this morning showed us, he is a fabulous speaker and a dynamic personality with a unique appeal. The scenario that Cruz is hoping will make him the GOP nominee may be a very shot indeed but it is not crazy.

When stacked against those of his Republican competitors, it’s easy to see why few think the Texan has much of a chance. The party elites that are, as Nate Cohn rightly points out in his New York Times Upshot column about Cruz today, still important to winning nominations, are united in their opposition to him. He will raise money but nowhere near as much as Jeb Bush or even other conservatives like Scott Walker. Nor can he claim to be the sole candidate seeking to appeal to Tea Party conservatives, who tend to adore him, or even the evangelicals that he is courting by announcing at the school founded by the Rev. Jerry Falwell.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2015/03/23/is-there-a-realistic-ted-cruz-scenario-republican-announcement/

Is There a Realistic Ted Cruz Scenario?

A broad cross-section of Republican officeholders, major donors and conservative pundits are agreed on one thing: Ted Cruz has no chance to be elected president.

Well then it must be so. rolleyes.gif

Never really read a full bio of Ted Cruz. Many things I did not know about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Cruz

Rafael Edward Cruz[1]

December 22, 1970 (age 44)

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Stand By! smile.png

images-1.jpeg

The nice thing about having an assortment of candidates for nomination ( after all, we don't expect them ALL to be the nominee) is the debate and discussion brings a lot of ideas and issues to the forefront, where just one or two limits the discussion. Limiting the candidates, limits the discussion. Candidates from different backgrounds and with different viewpoints are valuable IMHO The only drawback to this is when they stay too long when they are not viable and sap the resources like last Presidential cycle - and all the candidates and 'Conservative' print and radio form a circular firing squad to leave the last man standing with as little credibility as possible and then they make a complete turn around and support him. These are the people I hold responsible for many of the 'no shows' on our side last election - and they are the ones doing the biggest hand wringing about what we are stuck with now.

• Like 1

@Geee

2 quick points

1. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

2. There is a right way & a wrong way to criticize, and all too often we pick the wrong way....ie (insert candidate name here) is a bad terrible evil person, who can't get elected and if they do it will be the end of the Republic as we know it. (And yes I'm talking about the likes of Mark shout shout scream holler Levin.)

Never really read a full bio of Ted Cruz. Many things I did not know about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Cruz

Rafael Edward Cruz[1]

December 22, 1970 (age 44)

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Stand By! smile.png

images-1.jpeg

The nice thing about having an assortment of candidates for nomination ( after all, we don't expect them ALL to be the nominee) is the debate and discussion brings a lot of ideas and issues to the forefront, where just one or two limits the discussion. Limiting the candidates, limits the discussion. Candidates from different backgrounds and with different viewpoints are valuable IMHO The only drawback to this is when they stay too long when they are not viable and sap the resources like last Presidential cycle - and all the candidates and 'Conservative' print and radio form a circular firing squad to leave the last man standing with as little credibility as possible and then they make a complete turn around and support him. These are the people I hold responsible for many of the 'no shows' on our side last election - and they are the ones doing the biggest hand wringing about what we are stuck with now.

I have nothing to say....except......wallbash.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Draggingtree
4/3/2015

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 11:47 am

Ted Cruz has had a good start to his fundraising:

Sen. Ted Cruz has raised $4 million in the eight days since officially launching his White House bid, his campaign confirmed Wednesday night.

And in a sign of his appeal to grassroots conservatives, his campaign said that 95 percent of the contributions came in amounts of $100 or less.

Cruz, who formally announced his presidential campaign on March 23, remains the only major candidate in either party to officially launch a White House bid. He raised $1 million within a day of his formal announcement, and $2 million within the first three days, according to his campaign. Cruz’s campaign said bundlers accounted for one-third of the money raised and that 300 donors maxed out on their contributions to Cruz. Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://patterico.com/2015/04/03/ted-cruz-fundraising-starts-off-well/

Draggingtree
The mainstream media has a serious Ted Cruz problem

By Curt

Fri, Apr, 3rd, 201

Jazz Shaw:

Following
which showed Texas Senator Ted Cruz firmly in the top tier of GOP presidential candidates, Allahpundit provided
of how real and durable these numbers might be. (Short version: don’t expect him to fall out of the upper ranks just because more people officially get into the race.) It’s true that Cruz saw a bump from his official announcement, but the renewed and increased media attention he’s been receiving has expanded his name recognition, and with it his potential donor pool. Liberals have predicted – in a hopeful fashion – that with a bit more scrutiny, Ted Cruz would flame out. The new reality is that they, along with their celebrity spokesmodels on cable news, are beginning to realize that they have a serious problem.
Scissors-32x32.png