Dear Azealia Banks, Please Feel Free To Leave America And Never Return

Chickadee

Azealia-Banks-620x428.jpgThe Blaze:

Dear Azealia Banks,

I read about your interview with Playboy magazine where you apparently took off your clothes and talked about how much you hate white people. Just another day at the office for you, I suppose.

I confess I didn’t read the whole exchange, though I’m sure it was packed with penetrating insight and searing self-reflection.

I did notice, however, this portion:

I hate everything about this country. Like, I hate fat white Americans… All the people who are crunched into the middle of America, the real fat and meat of America, are these racist conservative white people who live on their farms… Those little teenage girls who work at Kmart and have a racist grandma — that’s really America.”

You then fantasized about eventually leaving this country:

“As long as I have my money, I’m getting the f*** out of here and I’m gonna leave y’all to your own devices.”

Finally you spoke a bit about the reparations you deserve, and said it’s unnatural for you to be American or Christian:

“Black people need reparations for building this country, and we deserve way more f***ing credit and respect… When you rip a people from their land, from their customs, from their culture — there’s still a piece of me that knows I’m not supposed to be speaking English, I’m not supposed to be worshiping Jesus Christ…All this s**t is unnatural to me.”

Now, perhaps if I viewed all of these comments in context, they’d suddenly morph from vapid, delusional, spiteful, bigoted, and incoherent, to something quite profound, or at least halfway literate. Perhaps. But I tend to doubt it. I think “I hate fat white Americans,” kind of stands on its own.

Scissors-32x32.png

Meanwhile, by stripping off your clothes and spouting these thug cliches, you are only acting to cement those cliches in the public conscience and denigrate your entire race in the process. It’s a shame, Ms. Banks. You could do so many wonderful things for America and for the black community if only you cared to. But you don’t. You’re too selfish. Too full of resentment. Too prejudiced and narcissistic.

The media might not make much of the the fact that a prominent pop star just spewed venom and bigotry and elitist snobbery at millions of her fellow countrymen, but you still have to live with yourself and with the knowledge that all you’ve contributed to our society is smut, hate, and division.

But that’s neither here nor there if you’re moving anyway. Did we ever decide on your destination? Let’s see: it has to be a place without white people and farmers; without teenage girls working retail; without middle class people “crunched up” everywhere; a place where you can still speak freely; a place where you can produce your music without censorship or control; where you can run around half naked or completely naked without being arrested or executed, and, for good measure, a place where you can openly mock the predominant race and culture of the region without fear of a violent backlash.

Well, that really only leaves Antarctica (the big frozen land mass way down yonder).

Remember to pack a coat.

Safe travels.

P.S. I hate to get technical, but you do realize that you just posed nude for a magazine owned by a rich old white guy, right?

• Like 1

Matt Walsh also posted another response on Facebook:

"Interesting to see the differences between social media platforms. I posted this here on Facebook and most of the comments were in agreement. I posted it on Twitter and the feedback wasn't nearly as positive.

One thing I will say is that some of the comments have only vindicated my reasoning for writing this. If this Azealia girl was the only one spouting this kind of vile hatred towards wide swaths of the American population, I'd say it isn't worth responding to. But, sadly, it's quite clear that this hatred she feels for white people and for America is shared by a large number of people.

A lot of the comments I saw on Twitter basically argued that her resentment towards whites is justified. Her people have been victimized and persecuted, therefore she has a license to be as bigoted and spiteful as she wants. Even if she herself lives a luxurious and comfortable life.

As far as that goes, I don't negate the historical plight of black Americans. Liberals do that when they compare the complaints of modern gays to that of enslaved Africans in the 18th century. I don't play that game. Slavery was a terrible sin, and only a few other institutional atrocities match it.

So terrible, in fact, that we should probably acknowledge how prevalent it was and is. Slavery was practiced across the globe, including in Africa. In fact it still happens there. And often white slave traders obtained slaves because African warlords sold their own people off. This point is only relevant when you use slavery to paint America as uniquely evil. The claim is just ridiculous. Countries all over be Earth practiced and practice it.

But America did abolish it, and while other nations engaged in slavery for thousands of years, America got rid of it in less than a hundred. Again, this is only important to note when you start acting like slavery is a sin owned entirely by white Americans.

Of course, ethnic prejudices extended past slavery. Many groups dealt with it back in the days when such things were acceptable. My ancestors didn't have it too easy off the boat from Ireland, neither did people of Japanese descent (internment, anyone?) or people from many other groups.

What do we do with all of this now? Well, remember it, sure. Talk about it because it's part of our history, fine. But use past bigotries to rationalize the propagation of current bigotries? No. That is wrong, unjust, self defeating, and evil.

See, bigotry is always justified in the minds of the Bigot, often by citing past infractions committed by the offending group. Bigotry is always justified this way. Always. So either you choose not to be a bigot, or you do. And if you do, you're no better than any other bigot, and no more justified in your hatred."