Where Have All The Unions Gone?

Geee

where-have-all-the-unions-goneThe Federalist:

Unions are going into decline, and liberals have begun working on their ballads. Ah, the mighty union! It once protected the little man and preserved the American dream. Then the big, bad Republicans came along and tore asunder the fabric of American life, all for the sake of their insatiable greed. Sing a sad, sad song for the dying unions; we shall not see their like again.

Pass the tissue! Just give me a moment to compose myself… okay, I’m better now. Am I the only one who finds it hard these days to get through an issue of The New Republic without getting emotional? I might as well be watching Lifetime television.

Why Liberals Love Unions (The Noble Reason)

Mockery aside, I’m not really so callous to the plight of the working man. But I know how much liberals love a conservative villain, and I hate to disappoint. Between Paul Krugman’s recent piece on how people aren’t androids, and Elizabeth Stoker Bruenig’s New Republic lament about right-to-work legislation, I’m feeling positively grinchy. Evidently, we conservative writers are a wildly dehumanizing lot, interested in nothing but our pocketbooks, and happy to reduce flesh-and-blood people to nothing more than “assets” or “capital” or “fleshy service-providers.” (I made the last one up all by myself. See how inhumane I can be? I’ll sit back now and wait for the Charles Koch Institute to offer me a job.)

Evidently, we conservative writers are a wildly dehumanizing lot, interested in nothing but our pocketbooks, and happy to reduce flesh-and-blood people to nothing more than ‘assets’ or ‘capital’ or ‘fleshy service-providers.’

Sometimes, admittedly, conservatives do pretend to care about human-ish things like marriage and family. But Bruenig, in what she obviously regards as a clever move, tries to turn this conservative rhetoric against us by suggesting that we can’t really care about the collapse of the family. It’s surely all an act. How can she tell? By considering conservative hostility to unions.Scissors-32x32.png

Cyber_Liberty

FTA:

If you want to build an enduring institution, it may not be wise to throw yourself so deeply into partisan politics that half of America can’t wait to sign your death certificate.

I think I love this author. She understands business.

• Like 1