Presidential politics: what to watch for in 2015

Valin

presidential-politics-what-to-watch-for-in-2015.phpPower Line:

Paul Mirengoff

February 16, 2015

It’s far too early to guess intelligently about who will be elected president next year or whom the Republicans will nominate, but this doesn’t seem to be stopping many pundits.

Fox News has its Special Report panels lay odds on the Republican field once a week. The Washington Post’s Chris Cillizza handicaps the Republican field once a week. And the Weekly Standard’s Steve Hayes has just produced an assessment of that field so exhaustive that it includes Donald Trump.

Memories of eight years ago prevent me from joining in the fun. At this time in 2007, and for a considerable period thereafter, I was convinced that the Democrats would nominate Hillary Clinton. On the Republican side, I thought Mitt Romney had the edge with Rudy Giuliani in second position.

This time, I’m content to identify what I believe are the two big things to watch for once the race heats up. They are: how will Scott Walker and Hillary Clinton perform as candidates. Stated differently: is Walker ready for prime time and is Clinton past her sell-by date?

(Snip)