Dems urge Oregon governor to resign, top official reveals ‘strange’ behavior

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
dems-urge-oregon-governor-to-resign-top-official-reveals-strange-behaviorFox News:

Embattled Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber faced stiff pressure from top-ranking fellow Democrats to resign on Thursday, shortly after the state's No. 2 official issued a statement describing the governor's recent behavior as "strange" and contradictory.

The latest calls to resign -- in the wake of influence-peddling allegations involving his fiancee Cylvia Hayes, a green-energy consultant -- came from the upper echelons of Oregon's government. Senate President Peter Courtney told reporters Thursday afternoon that he and House Speaker Tina Kotek have asked for Kitzhaber to step down.

"I finally said, `This has got to stop,"' Courtney said after he and Kotek met with the governor. "I don't know what else to do right now. It seems to be escalating. It seems to be getting worse and worse."

His remarks came after Secretary of State Kate Brown, who would be in line to succeed Kitzhaber should he step down, issued a statement calling this a "bizarre and unprecedented situation."

Brown had been summoned back to Oregon by the governor on Wednesday while she was attending a conference in Washington. Her abrupt return to Oregon fueled speculation that the governor was planning to resign.

Sources told The Associated Press that, in fact, he had decided to step down amid the ethics controversy involving his fiancée but changed his mind while Brown was en route back to Oregon.

In her statement, Brown described how Kitzhaber gave her conflicting messages.

She said she first heard from the governor late Tuesday afternoon. "He asked me to come back to Oregon as soon as possible to speak with him in person and alone," Brown said.

________

In Oregon, you're not strange, you're "eccentric..."

FYI

Timeline of ethics issues surrounding Oregon governor
JEFF BARNARD
Feb. 13, 2015

Just weeks after being sworn in for an unprecedented fourth term, Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber finds himself fighting for his political life over allegations his fiancée used their relationship to win contracts for her consulting business and failed to report income on her taxes.

Some key events leading to this point:

(Snip)

I'd never heard of him, @Valin. I know Oregon elects morons, I still thought they had the old moron. Huh.

I seem to recall that if you go east of the mountains things get more conservative. The problem is most of the people live along the coast, and this is pretty leftist

A book I read a long time ago (The Nine Nations Of North America) explains this.

piccit_the_9_cultural_nations_of_no_1929

On Friday afternoon, Gov. John Kitzhaber of Oregon resigned, and the Oregon secretary of state Kate Brown, also a Democrat, became the state governor. In an instant, Oregon had the first openly bisexual governor in American history.

wallbash.gif

Subpoenas arrive as Oregon governor announces departure

SALEM, Ore. (AP) Just hours after Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber announced his decision to resign, a subpoena arrived in a state office building confirming that federal agents are looking into the influence-peddling scandal that led to the abrupt end of a four-decade political career.

(Snip)

When Kitzhaber closes the door on his life in public office, the scandal that toppled Oregon's longest serving governor will still linger. Subpoenas delivered to the Department of Administrative Services Friday request a massive array of documents from Kitzhaber's administration.

The subpoena was the first acknowledgment of a federal investigation against Kitzhaber and his fiancée, Cylvia Hayes. It seeks records pertaining to 15 other people besides Kitzhaber and Hayes, including Kitzhaber's chief of staff, policy advisers, Kitzhaber's lawyer and secretaries.

The subpoena orders the agency to produce documents for a federal grand jury before March 10. An agency spokesman, Matt Shelby, said it would provide whatever requested records are in its possession.

Kitzhaber insisted he broke no laws.

(Snip)

Subpoenas arrive as Oregon governor announces departure

SALEM, Ore. (AP) Just hours after Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber announced his decision to resign, a subpoena arrived in a state office building confirming that federal agents are looking into the influence-peddling scandal that led to the abrupt end of a four-decade political career.

(Snip)

When Kitzhaber closes the door on his life in public office, the scandal that toppled Oregon's longest serving governor will still linger. Subpoenas delivered to the Department of Administrative Services Friday request a massive array of documents from Kitzhaber's administration.

The subpoena was the first acknowledgment of a federal investigation against Kitzhaber and his fiancée, Cylvia Hayes. It seeks records pertaining to 15 other people besides Kitzhaber and Hayes, including Kitzhaber's chief of staff, policy advisers, Kitzhaber's lawyer and secretaries.

The subpoena orders the agency to produce documents for a federal grand jury before March 10. An agency spokesman, Matt Shelby, said it would provide whatever requested records are in its possession.

Kitzhaber insisted he broke no laws.

(Snip)

@WestVirginaRebel

Look before posting.