Wisconsin Gov. Walker refuses to answer evolution question

Valin

walker-meets-british-finance-minister-london-161638355.htmlAP:

SCOTT BAUER

Feb. 11 2015

MADISON, Wisconsin (AP) — Likely 2016 presidential candidate Scott Walker refused to say Wednesday whether he believes in the theory of evolution, dodging that question and several others about foreign policy after delivering a speech about global trade in London.

"I'm going to punt on that one as well," said Wisconsin's Republican governor when asked about evolution at the end of an hour-long appearance at the prestigious Chatham House think tank. "That's a question a politician shouldn't be involved in one way or the other. So I'm going to leave that up to you."

Walker, an evangelical Christian and the 47-year-old son of a Baptist preacher, also declined to answer a series of questions about foreign policy, including how the West should combat the Islamic State group, whether the U.S. should arm forces in Ukraine and whether it's wise for Great Britain to remain in the European Union.

(Snip)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I Don’t Care Whether the President Believes in Evolution and Neither Should You
How is this question related to actual federal policy?

Scott Shackford

Feb. 11, 2015

(Snip)

So when Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, a potential Republican candidate for president in 2016, headed over to London to talk trade, obviously the thing to do is to ask him whether he believe in the theory of evolution. From Reuters:

"That's a question a politician shouldn't be involved in one way or the other," Walker said during a question-and-answer session at Chatham House, a London think tank.

Walker is visiting the United Kingdom this week to promote trade with his Midwestern state. The trip also could burnish his international resume in the early stages of the 2016 presidential race. …

"I'm here to talk about trade, not to pontificate," he said. "I love the evolution of trade in Wisconsin."

I'm sure some science-minded libertarians and conservatives would have just preferred he gave a simple "yes" to avoid exactly this kind of story that completely ignores anything Walker may have actually said about trade Now the story is this silly nonsense that has zero impact about any sort of pending or potential federal policy. Reuters attempts to tie it to both public opinion polls about support for the theory evolution (has anybody ever voted for a president on the basis of his opinion on the theory of evolution?) and recent controversies about science and vaccinations. At least there are genuine policies connected to vaccinations at play (which, nevertheless, have nothing to do with the president).

(Snip)

Cyber_Liberty

I'd like to see politicians refuse to answer more stupid questions. Why is there this belief out there that there can't be unanswered questions?

• Like 2

Cyber_Liberty

It gave

Like that, @Valin. And oh, how Newt caught hell from the lefties for that.

OH NO! And I'm sure he lost a lot of sleep! smile.png

It gave Romney ammo for his attacks. Romney didn't mind using leftist arguments in that campaign at all. This is the cautionary note I sound whenever these elections come up: Don't speak ill of fellow Republicans. If you do, their supporters will not vote for you in the General. McCain experienced this effect, and Romney did even more.

A candidate who wins the nomination by tearing down other Republicans will lose in the General. Watch Jeb Bush start tearing down the others...that's the kind of advice one gets from Karl Rove.

It gave

It gave Romney ammo for his attacks. Romney didn't mind using leftist arguments in that campaign at all. This is the cautionary note I sound whenever these elections come up: Don't speak ill of fellow Republicans. If you do, their supporters will not vote for you in the General. McCain experienced this effect, and Romney did even more.

A candidate who wins the nomination by tearing down other Republicans will lose in the General. Watch Jeb Bush start tearing down the others...that's the kind of advice one gets from Karl Rove.

We'll see.

Cyber_Liberty

It gave

We'll see.

And I'll be watching.