Really? Vaccines?

Draggingtree

really-vaccinesRedState: Really? Vaccines?

By: Erick Erickson (Diary) | February 3rd, 2015 at 04:30 AM

With growing tensions in the Middle East, terrorism, American reassessments of overseas adventures, economic issues at home, and so much more, the media has decided this week’s most pressing issue is vaccinations.

In 2008, Barack Obama declared the science of vaccinations inconclusive.

On Friday, White House Press Secretary Josh Ernst said

“I’m not going stand up here and dispense medical advice,” Earnest said, according to the AP. “But I am going to suggest that the president’s view is that people should evaluate this for themselves, with a bias toward good science and toward the advice of our public health professionals, who are trained to offer us exactly this kind of advice.” Scissors-32x32.png

Perry says the HPV vaccine he mandated would have been optional

By Ciara O'Rourke on Saturday, February 6th, 2010 at 12:51 p.m.

When Gov. Rick Perry issued an executive order in 2007 requiring all Texas girls to receive a vaccine against the human papillomavirus before entering the sixth grade, lawmakers balked and blocked it.

Critics said the vaccine, Merck & Co.'s Gardasil, was too new to declare safe. Some said too that Perry's order would infringe on parental rights or give girls a false sense of security, leading them to be sexually active too young.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, one of Perry's opponents in the GOP gubernatorial primary, frequently slams Perry's stilled order.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDsQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.politifact.com%2Ftexas%2Fstatements%2F2010%2Ffeb%2F06%2Frick-perry%2Fperry-says-hpv-vaccine-he-mandated-would-have-been%2F&ei=CQzRVI2TA4iVyATQwIKIDQ&usg=AFQjCNFTu1lpWNLeGKQVUs3ROEO4JxxfRA&bvm=bv.85076809,d.aWw

The Insane Vaccine Debate

We've had mandatory vaccine policies in the U.S. since before the Emancipation Proclamation. Why are they controversial now?

By Ben Domenech FEBRUARY 3, 2015

The issue of mandatory vaccination is once again an item of debate in media circles given the recent outbreaks in measles, and fueled this week by the continued inability of politicians to discuss vaccination policy without sounding like anti-science fools.

It’s surprising that Chris Christie, who was so bold in the use of state plenary power when it came to Ebola, would be the first to put his foot in his mouth on this topic. I understand what he was attempting to say when it came to calling for “balance” in such matters, but the impact of his remarks drew out demands by the media that others respond. Here was Carly Fiorina on the subject, raising the issue of HPV. Rand Paul joined Christie on the subject, agreeing with him for once. Frustrated by the debate, the Kentucky Senator shushes his female interviewer at the three minute mark. I would suggest he not try that tactic against Hillary Clinton.Scissors-32x32.png

In 2012, it was Michele Bachmann turning Rick Perry’s Gardasil program into a cause of mental illnessScissors-32x32.png

http://thefederalist.com/2015/02/03/the-insane-vaccine-debate/

OK so make them optional and then you don't get to participate in any publicly provided service (transportation, schools). Also if you get a preventable disease then you certainly cannot get public medical care and hospitals are free to not treat you. All work places can require them as a condition of work if desired. This is for serious diseases easily spread just by walking about or public contact. I certainly would count Rubella (German measles) as one of them. My mom got Rubella back in the early 60's while pregnant with by Brother. The issues it caused him still impact him to this day.

• Like 1

Wow, that was fast...

The University of California system may soon mandate incoming students to be vaccinated for several contagious diseases, including measles.

According to the website Inside Higher Ed, students would be required to have immunizations for measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, meningococcus and tetanus. UC students are currently required to be vaccinated against hepatitis B.