The Triumph of His Will

Valin

the-triumph-of-his-willLibertylawsite.org:

Ken Masugi

Jan. 21 2015

After viewing President Obama’s State of the Union Address I am tempted by blogging colleague Greg Weiner’s suggestion to abolish the State of the Union Address. Of the constitutional clause requiring that he address Congress he observes “If anything, modern Presidents ought to view its opening phrase—“from time to time”—as a limit rather than a license.” I am even further drawn to Frank Buckley’s devastating critique of contemporary presidential government The Once and Future King: The Rise of Crown Government in America.

(Snip)

The State of the Union spectacle justified the worst of the Anti-Federalist fears of a royal court. All that up-and-down gymnastics and applauding must, following Aristotle on virtue as habituation, erode any feeling of independence in the legislators, whose duty demands suspicion of the other branches.

(Snip)

Obama exemplifies his approach by making question-begging arguments on the otherwise contentious issues of abortion, immigration, voting rights, and Ferguson. For example, on abortion Obama states the inarguable “that every woman should have access to the health care that she needs.” Or following his cloying gloss “but surely [emphasis added] we can agree that the right to vote is sacred,” with the assertion “it’s being denied to too many.”

Obama calls this sop “a better politics.” He is not incorrect to conclude that “That’s what the American people want. And that’s what they deserve.” That’s the way sophists operate: they always give people what they want.

• Like 1

State Of The Union Speech for dummies

The President: Everything is wonderful and will only get better, thanks to me and my Party, and everyone should do what I say.

The Opposition Party: Everything the President said was wrong wrong wrong! We're all going to hell in a hand cart, and its all the fault of The President and his Party.

Talking Heads: 1. The President is exactly right, and is a wise and noble man, we need to really listen to him. 2. The President is a radical extremist who will lead us to doom, and it will be the end of The Republic.

I will be very glad when the day is done and we can forget all about this SOTU speech.

• Like 2

Cyber_Liberty

Obama calls this sop “a better politics.” He is not incorrect to conclude that “That’s what the American people want. And that’s what they deserve.” That’s the way sophists operate: they always give people what they want.

They need to be given what they deserve...good and hard. evil1.gif

• Like 1