Seattle mayor wants to allow and regulate 3 new tent cities

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
2025464425_homelessencampmentsxml.htmlSeattle Times:

When passengers step off the ferries from Bremerton and Bainbridge Island and head into downtown Seattle, homelessness is just about the first thing they see.

People sleep every night on the Marion Street pedestrian bridge, a narrow span that connects the Seattle ferry terminal at Colman Dock with First Avenue. Many camp right under the Alaskan Way Viaduct, which runs above the middle section of the bridge.

With traffic roaring overhead, the spot isn’t peaceful. But the number of campers has grown since last summer, according to ferry commuters who hustle past twice a day.

Pedestrians almost had to tiptoe through on a recent chilly morning, picking their way past at least six people dozing under tarps and sleeping bags.

“It bothers me because it’s very sad and unfortunate,” said Margo Dannemiller, 48, a Bainbridge Island-Seattle commuter. “They’re lighting fires in there. They’re urinating and defecating. It’s unpleasant, but mostly I just wish they had another option.”

Just that — another option for people sleeping outside — is what Seattle Mayor Ed Murray had in mind Wednesday as he proposed new legislation on tent cities.

With homelessness and illegal camping a growing concern in Seattle and across the region, Murray is asking the City Council to authorize and regulate up to three additional tent cities, potentially on city property.

“Permitted encampments are not, in my view, a long-term strategy to end homelessness,” the mayor said at a news conference, noting that the city will fund an additional 50 shelter beds at the King County Administration Building for the remainder of the winter.

________

Welcome to Seattle, bring your tent...

A cheap PA system blaring old Donny and Marie songs would be a more cost effective solution.

This is my favorite....

set your speaker to loud....

• 2 years later...