Oscars: Acting Nominees All White

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
oscars-acting-nominees-all-white-764018Hollywood Reporter:

For only the second time in nearly two decades, the 20 Academy Awards acting nominations went to a group made up entirely of white actors and actresses.

Among the notable snubs was David Oyelowo, who received praise for his turn as the late Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. in Selma.

In 2011, the 20 nominees also were entirely white. Before that, one has to go back to 1998 for an all-white acting group.

The all-white nominees list comes at time when Hollywood is fielding criticism for not doing enough to promote diversity in filmmaking. And just last month, Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal and producer Scott Rudin were apologizing for leaked emails that appeared to be racially insensitive. Rudin was nominated this morning for producing best picture nominee The Grand Budapest Hotel.

________

Hollywood "diversity."

@Valin

Heard on Fox today that Rev Al is headed to Hollywood to meet with liberals to address the "snubbing"....

The "Black Films Matter" teeshirts are being printed.

CNN is running stories today "Is this why 'Selma' was snubbed?"

White people just don't get that a film, book, or TV show (or President for that matter) is owed lionization because of skin color... or contains the sacred word "Selma"... or is connected of Dame Oprah.

@NCTexan

From what (little) I understand its a pretty good movie.

As for the race pimp his goal can be summed up in one word...Money.

It seems to me (as a damn Yankee smile.png ) that the Civil Rights Movement was the best thing that ever happened to the south. Time to forget about Race. You know that I'm the token white guy in my neighborhood, and I keep telling people when Race comes up "I'm about as right wing as you're gonna see in the next 6 months, and I tell you We Don't Care. You're Black..Don't Care, You're tall...Don't Care, You Have glasses...Don't Care. There are two groups that care about your Race, White Supremacists & the Democratic Party, and neither one are Republicans:.

Civil Rights and Air Conditioning made The South the Power House it is.

Why are they upset, you know it will win best picture the fix is in.

I don't know, except for the Race Pimp. I don't follow this as much as I should I suppose, but the are only 24 hours in a day and I have to go to the can sometime.

@Valin

That really is not a key factor in a lot of the "awards" discussions.

"Good" is too subjective... "Important" should be the basis of awards and recognition.

I love (hate) to hear some effete movie critic saying.... "Now this is one of the most 'important' films of the year." Translated: "This speaks out for some political or social issue that is either importatant to them... or makes them look superior for touting it."

My fear is after the movie there will be a whole lot more protestor looter wannabees out on the streets. Pants Up! Don't Loot!

@Valin

That really is not a key factor in a lot of the "awards" discussions.

"Good" is too subjective... "Important" should be the basis of awards and recognition.

I love (hate) to hear some effete movie critic saying.... "Now this is one of the most 'important' films of the year." Translated: "This speaks out for some political or social issue that is either importatant to them... or makes them look superior for touting it."

That's because they are superior, to we the great unwashed.

Why are they upset, you know it will win best picture the fix is in.

Yep, and all this unwarranted attention over something from nothing just solidifies that fix.