Say It Ain’t So, Mitt!

Valin

say-it-aint-so-mitt.phpPower Line:

John Hinderaker

January 13, 2015

Washington is buzzing with the news that Mitt Romney has resolved to enter the 2016 presidential race. I wrote some time ago that Hillary Clinton is ripe for the plucking, as long as her opponent is a fresh new face. Therefore, I thought, the only plausible Republican candidate who can’t beat Hillary is Jeb Bush, another Bush/Clinton race being the one thing that would drive Republican voters away from the polls. Now that conclusion must be amended. The Democrats have a second path to victory: Mitt Romney could be the Republican nominee.

I like Mitt. I contributed pretty substantially to his 2012 campaign, and I think he would have been an excellent president. But one thing we know for sure is that American voters don’t much want to see Romney in the White House. This is not an experiment that needs to be run twice.

(Snip)

The Republican base, on the other hand, is conservative and does not vote primarily out of either self-interest or delusion, but out of principle. Republican voters, therefore, are less reliable. A large majority of them are conservatives, and will stay home if the Republican party does not nominate candidates who exemplify conservative values. If they aren’t excited, they may not vote.

(Snip)

The Republican Party has a number of strong, young candidates–some of whom are even charismatic!–who, I think, would beat an old, tired, gaffe-prone Hillary next year. Heck, forget charismatic; I think anyone but a retread would be the favorite. But already, the Republican nomination process threatens to go off the rails as precisely what we don’t need–two retreads–are dominating the news.

Mitt, consider this an effort at intervention by a friend: just say no. Please.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And The Congregation says Amen

• Like 1

Hugh Hewitt weights in...

Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney have been around the biggest issues for the longest time. Neither would be intimidated by the “Clinton Machine,” and they have as many planets and stars in their Bushworld and Romneyworld as are in Hillaryworld. Either is equally matched against the professional rent-seekers of the Democratic Party, and both have learned all the bitter lessons that Hillary has absorbed and sorted and filed away.

There is a love of the new, and that may win out in the GOP primaries. And there is great respect for folks like the governors who have gone toe-to-toe with their states’ special interests and with the conservative senators who have learned to deal with the MSM that always has at least a few fingers on the media scale.

But if you have to do battle with the most battle hardened Democrat of them all, there’s a lot to be said for the guys with the most scars. For one thing, they aren’t even going to notice the rocks being thrown at them from behind. From the very beginning they know the real contest begins after the convention, not before it, and both of them will be thinking on lessons learned and new ways to wage these battles.

Amen and amen.

Well, I said that to the first post. Then I read the second. Huh.

But I still agree with John Hinderaker.

Edited by nickydog

Cyber_Liberty

Hugh Hewitt weights in...

Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney have been around the biggest issues for the longest time. Neither would be intimidated by the “Clinton Machine,” and they have as many planets and stars in their Bushworld and Romneyworld as are in Hillaryworld. Either is equally matched against the professional rent-seekers of the Democratic Party, and both have learned all the bitter lessons that Hillary has absorbed and sorted and filed away.

There is a love of the new, and that may win out in the GOP primaries. And there is great respect for folks like the governors who have gone toe-to-toe with their states’ special interests and with the conservative senators who have learned to deal with the MSM that always has at least a few fingers on the media scale.

But if you have to do battle with the most battle hardened Democrat of them all, there’s a lot to be said for the guys with the most scars. For one thing, they aren’t even going to notice the rocks being thrown at them from behind. From the very beginning they know the real contest begins after the convention, not before it, and both of them will be thinking on lessons learned and new ways to wage these battles.

Well, they certainly are well practiced when it comes time to make concession speeches....

• Like 1

Meanwhile The Huckester is making his move...around the bend and over the cliff.

I wonder who he's being the stalking horse for this time?

Don't know, but I wish he would go away...he annoys and bores me.

• Like 1