Windows 7 mainstream support ends today

Valin

windows-7-support-ends-todayCNET:

As Windows 10 approaches, Microsoft will no longer offer free help and support for the ageing but still popular Windows 7.

Rich Trenholm

January 13, 2015

Unlucky for some: it's 13 January 2015, and that means the end of free support for Windows 7.

Happily that doesn't mean your computer is going to automatically break or stop working, but it does mean Microsoft will no longer offer free help and support if you have problems with your Windows 7 software from this point on. No new features will be added either.

Microsoft is keen to move users onto Windows 8 instead -- to find out more, check out our how-tos, troubleshooting, news and reviews of Windows 8. Alternatively, you can wait for Windows 10 later this year.

Windows 7 was released in 2009. It sold over 100 million copies in six months and remains hugely popular. More stable than predecessor Windows Vista and more familiar than its radically redesigned successor Windows 8, version 7 is still estimated to be running half of the world's PCs.

(Snip)

My machine with 7 is already 4 years, but still runs quite fine. I just set up my Dad's new machine with Windows 8 and it was a pain finding everything with the "new easier to use" interface.

What happened to Windows 9?

Oh dear, I don't adjust to tech changes very well. It sounds like the thing to do is wait for Windows 10. Maybe Windows 9 was such a disaster they just threw it in the trash, so to speak.

I think Windows 8 was designed with Tablets in mind. At least that is the way it appeared to me.

@nickydog

Maybe Windows 9 was such a disaster they just threw it in the trash, so to speak.

No proof, but I suspect you're right.

Dang! My house has a variety of devices with different operating systems, including one desktop that my wife loves that has Windows XP on it.

Dang! My house has a variety of devices with different operating systems, including one desktop that my wife loves that has Windows XP on it.

That's what's on my laptop. All I can say is It Works.