2014: The Year the Democratic Party Death Watch Resumed

Draggingtree

2014-the-year-the-democratic-party-death-watch-resumed:

2014: The Year the Democratic Party Death Watch Resumed

By Robert Tracinski DECEMBER 29, 2014

I’ve recently been counting down the top stories of the year, and there was no real competition for what should go in the #1 slot: it’s the Republican wave in the mid-term congressional elections—and, just as important, the unprecedented Republican wave in the statehouses, which may have an even greater impact over the long term.

We first began to get an idea that something big was happening when my own congressman, Virginia’s Eric Cantor, lost one of the country’s safest Republican seats to a low-budget primary challenger, Dave Brat, who challenged Cantor from the right. As I explained at the time:

Here’s my favorite Eric Cantor story. At the Republican Convention in 2008, I approached Cantor after an event, introduced myself as a constituent, and told him where I lived. It’s a tiny place, more of a wide spot in the road than an actual town, so this was partly a test to see how well Cantor knew his own district. Scissors-32x32.png

@Draggingtree

This is the year when the public began to give up on President Obama and concluded that he has been a failure as president.

I recall asking people during the 07-08 primaries why the supported Barack Obama, and what had he ever done that lead them to believe he would be a good President? I would get two replies 1. a blank stare 2. a rant against (the evil) George Bush. When it was pointed out W wasn't running for office...see #1.

What they don’t realize yet is that giving up on the South will effect them even within their own “bubble.” Writing off rural Southerners and making no effort to speak to them in a language that appeals to them will further alienate people in left-leaning “blue states” who sympathize with traditional values and ideals like self-reliance.

I could make the same accusation of the GOP, when it comes to urban areas, ie for all practical purposes there is no Republican/Conservative party inside the 494-694 beltway here in Mn.

Something I said at the end of the Clinton years, I hope the Democrats grow up and become adults, and throw out the post 68 party. Because we need two political parties.

• Like 1