Rick Perry on Hugh Hewitt

Valin

governor-rick-perry-2016-johnny-footballHugh Hewitt Show:

Hugh Hewitt

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Audio

(Snip)

HH: Now Governor Perry, last week on Friday, I got an email from a CEO, pretty big company, and they had been talking presidential politics, and he wanted to know my opinion of you specifically, because he believes in governors, not Senators, and he wanted to know whether or not I thought you would be back. And this is after Jeb had announced. And I said I’ve been on a stage with him. He’s tanned, rested and ready. I think he’s going to have some fun. Are you approaching a second campaign that way?

RP: Listen, again, I’m going to be prepared, Hugh. One of the things that I learned in a very difficult time in 2011 was if you’re going to run for the presidency, you better spend the time and the effort in preparation. That’s the reason I’ve been to the Hoover multiple times studying at the feet of George Schultz and John Taylor and Lanhee Chen. I mean, I’ve spent multiple times with Henry Kissinger talking about the foreign policy that we don’t have in this country today, and what we do need to have. The Hay Institute folks, all across the board, I’ve even been to the Brookings Institute to sit down and talk health care policy with them, just so I’ll understand where folks on the left are coming from when they talk about making access to health care more available. So the preparation side of this, and again, if I decide to make this run, I’m going to be prepared. And we’ll have some fun at the same time. Speaking of having fun, are you still using that moniker Johnny Radio?

(Snip)

HH: Last question, Governor Rick Perry, when you go up to Iowa to go to the Freedom Summit, you are going to be asked about Common Core. I’ve never seen an issue take off at the grassroots as fast as I have opposition to Common Core and the Department of Education’s federalization of it. What are you going to say when asked about it? And what are you going to say when Governor Bush defends it?

RP: I, you know, will allow the Governor to defend his position. Ours has been, and a strong one here in Texas, that we’re against it. We passed legislation banning it in the state of Texas. And I’m a big believer that the states need to be allowed to have the flexibility to decide what their curriculum is going to be. I don’t believe that a Washington bureaucrat is the best decider on what our curriculum should be in Texas, and I don’t think it should be that way in Florida, either. I trust governors and legislatures rather than Washington bureaucrats to decide what curriculum should be in our schools. Our state will be substantially more competitive, and put better curriculums into place than Washington, D.C. will.

(Snip)