The War on Drugs Was Born 100 Years Ago

Draggingtree

war-drugs-was-born-100-years-agoLudwig von Mises Institute:

The War on Drugs Was Born 100 Years Ago

DECEMBER 16, 2014Mark Thornton

TAGS Free MarketsThe Police StateU.S. History

When I went to the Oxford Union debates this past summer I was told by a veteran of the debates that I must have a joke in order to win over the audience. My attempt to win over the British audience was a success, but unfortunately my opening remarks are too close to the truth and in retrospect, are really not that funny:

Mr. Chairman, I want to thank you for the opportunity to debate the War on Drugs in this forum. Mr. Chairman, as you probably know, the War on Drugs was not a response to calls from experts, it was not in response to recommendations from the medical community, or even the law enforcement community. Mr. Chairman, the War on Drugs was started by the agitation of racists, bigots, religious fanatics, believers in eugenics, extremist politicians, and power hungry diplomats. In other words, Mr. Chairman, the average ordinary American. Scissors-32x32.png

Marijuana prohibition went national with the passage of the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 Scissors-32x32.png

An interesting observation Bill Bennett makes on the war on drugs is (I paraphrase) "When I would go into minority communities and talk to people living there, no one ever said we want you to do less about drugs".

An interesting observation Bill Bennett makes on the war on drugs is (I paraphrase) "When I would go into minority communities and talk to people living there, no one ever said we want you to do less about drugs".

Well I think Bill is wrong on some issues like Marijuana as are most federal and state laws. Not that I want it legaize.

Well I think Bill is wrong on some issues like Marijuana as are most federal and state laws. Not that I want it legaize.

It's for all practical purposes legal now.