Obamas on Race: We've Been Treated Like the Help

NCTexan

story?id=27636612ABC News:

President and Michelle Obama personally identify with everyday experiences of racial bias in America that have underpinned recent protests across the country, they told People magazine in an interview to be released Friday.

“Barack Obama was a black man that lived on the South Side of Chicago, who had his share of troubles catching cabs," Michelle Obama told the magazine.

On one occasion, she said, her husband “was wearing a tuxedo at a black-tie dinner, and somebody asked him to get coffee.”

President Obama said he's even been mistakenly treated as a valet.

“There’s no black male my age, who’s a professional, who hasn’t come out of a restaurant and is waiting for their car and somebody didn’t hand them their car keys," he said, according to excerpts of the interview released today.

The first lady also described being mistreated at a Target store in suburban Washington, during a shopping trip she took in 2011.

Scissors-32x32.png

@NCTexan

Bull Crap. Handing car keys to a black you don't know at a restaurant. This must be happening at rich liberal institutions (which Obama is part of), or just plain made up.

• Like 1

Hey @clearvision

While shopping at a local department store several years ago... a woman asked me if I was working at that register.

I have been in therapy since then but nothing has helped me get past this life shaping event.

@NCTexan

or just plain made up.

That is totally irrelevant... The important thing is that it could have happened.

You keep trying to confuse the issues of the day with facts.

Hey @clearvision

While shopping at a local department store several years ago... a woman asked me if I was working at that register.

I have been in therapy since then but nothing has helped me get past this life shaping event.

I can understand... especially if it was a Walmart.

@NCTexan

I missed this one:

"Even as the first lady," she told the magazine, "during the wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf."

My god. Someone asked her to get something high up on a shelf..... maybe because she is 5'11"??? Nah. Had to be RACISM.

Rheo also asks how anyone would be allowed near her in that staged photo op?

@NCTexan

I missed this one:

"Even as the first lady," she told the magazine, "during the wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf."

My god. Someone asked her to get something high up on a shelf..... maybe because she is 5'11"??? Nah. Had to be RACISM.

@clearvision @Rheo

She was probably the only person dressed worse than any of the photographers or press goons that surrounded her. I can see it.

fugly2.jpg

I was thinking to myself the other day when this daily wringing of hands about the 'wronged' Blacks and the 'wronged' terrorists - that the group that I don't remember ever hearing from about being wronged is the Japanese Americans. Now there is a group that was wronged, by the government of this country big time and I could be wrong, but I have never seen them marching in the streets or asking for reparations. I knew a family that had a big Vineyard in California. They had there land and everything else taken from them and were put in a detention camp after Pearl Harbor. Nothing was ever returned to them and they did nothing wrong. After the war they just started all over again and became successful for a second time. Now there is a group that should have a grudge.

• Like 2

@NCTexan

I missed this one:

I often ask people to get something high and at the back of a shelf for me. I also ask kids to get down and reach for something at the back of a bottom shelf. No one wants to see me get down on the floor these days, or get back up. I will have to remember to never ask anyone who is black.

• Like 1

story?id=27636612:

President and Michelle Obama personally identify with everyday experiences of racial bias in America that have underpinned recent protests across the country, they told People magazine in an interview to be released Friday.

“Barack Obama was a black man that lived on the South Side of Chicago, who had his share of troubles catching cabs," Michelle Obama told the magazine.

On one occasion, she said, her husband “was wearing a tuxedo at a black-tie dinner, and somebody asked him to get coffee.”

President Obama said he's even been mistakenly treated as a valet.

“There’s no black male my age, who’s a professional, who hasn’t come out of a restaurant and is waiting for their car and somebody didn’t hand them their car keys," he said, according to excerpts of the interview released today.

The first lady also described being mistreated at a Target store in suburban Washington, during a shopping trip she took in 2011.

Scissors-32x32.png

FLASHBACK: In 2012 Michelle Obama Described Her Brush With Racist Target Shopper, “I Felt So Good” Helping Her… http://weaselzippers.us/208453-flashback-in-2012-michelle-obama-described-her-brush-with-racist-target-shopper-i-felt-so-good-helping-her/

Letterman Show-March 20, 2010:

OBAMA: “That’s my Target run! I went to Target. I thought I was undercover! I have to tell you something about this trip though.”

LETTERMAN: “Uh-huh.”

OBAMA: “No one knew that was me because a woman actually walked up to me, right. I was in the detergent aisle. And she said — I kid you not — she said, ‘Excuse me, I just have to ask you something.’ And I thought, ‘Oh, cover is blown.’ She said, ‘Can you reach on that shelf and hand me the detergent?’ I kid you not! (Applause) And the only thing she said, I reached up because she was short, and I reached up and pulled it down, and she said, ‘Well, you didn’t have to make it look so easy!’ That was my interaction. I felt so good.”

Via WeaselZippers

Edited to add: Waiting for the tale of when Obama was in High School in Kenya Hawaii....and someone handed him the reins of a horse and told him to water & curry-comb it. Everyone knows that he's too tall to be a lawn jockey.

• Like 1