Epitaph for Hope and Change

Geee

epitaph-hope-and-change-victor-davis-hansonNational Review:

A perfect storm brought into power Barack Obama, a previously little-known Illinois community organizer. He had at best a mediocre record as a state legislator and rookie senator. Yet he quickly dazzled the liberal establishment. Joe Biden and Harry Reid were wowed by his sounding and behaving like a white liberal, while retaining the ability to turn on his supposedly authentic black persona when needed. That he had no record of achievement was seen as an advantageous clean slate. Teleprompted glibness was preferred to ad hoc repartee, as if an entire presidency could be scripted and Photoshopped with backdrops of Greek columns and Latin mottos.

In general, since World War II the American electorate has not voted into the presidency Northern liberals like Obama — or any Democrat (except JFK) without a Southern accent. A drawl apparently offered voters in the past some superficial reassurance of centrism. In the last five decades, Northern progressive candidates — Hubert Humphrey, George McGovern, Walter Mondale, Michael Dukakis — all failed, whereas Southerners like Lyndon Johnson, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and Al Gore all won the popular vote.Scissors-32x32.png

"The suspense is not over whether such scandals (IRS, GSA, VA, CIA, NSA, Secret Service) will tarnish Obama's legacy, but only over how long after he leaves office will it take before the full picture of his ends-justifying- the-means way of governance become known. There is something like a Bill Cosby aura around this administration -- a feeling that when the media and the liberal establishment are no longer invested in the day-to-day operations of the Obama administration, only then will we learn things that we would rather not."

Yes!

Only I have to confess, I am only watching the Bill Cosby situation with just a very little interest, but I will read and hear about the real day-to-day operations of the Obama administration with such gleeful satisfaction I will probably have to pray for forgiveness.

• Like 1