Eric Holder Sides With Alleged Cop Killers, Again

Geee

eric-holder-sides-with-cop-killers-again-n1920311Townhall:

Earlier this year when President Obama nominated cop killer advocate Debo Adegbile to head up the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice, Attorney General Eric Holder applauded the move. Because of Adegbile's voluntary work on behalf of convicted cop killer Mumia Abu Jamal, who brutally murdered Philadelphia Police Officer Daniel Faulkner in cold blood back in 1981, his nomination was voted down in the filibuster proof, Democrat controlled Senate 52-47. In 2011 under Adegbile's leadership at the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the death penalty sentence of Mumia Abu-Jamal was overturned despite thirty years of multiple courts upholding the his murder conviction. Major law enforcement groups representing hundreds of thousands of officers from across the country sent letters directly to President Obama strongly condemning the nomination and worked with Senators to block Adegbile from working in DOJ.

“I’m very disappointed in the Senate’s vote. At a time when significant voting rights cases and other consequential matters are pending, it is more critical than ever to have a confirmed leader for the Civil Rights Division. Mr. Adegbile is a uniquely qualified nominee and an exceptional lawyer. He deserved to have his nomination considered wholly on the merits. His record was either misunderstood, or intentionally misrepresented for the sake of politics," Holder said when Adegbile's nomination was blocked.

Now, Holder has sided with a new set of alleged cop killers in Virginia by taking the death penalty out of consideration for four gang members who kidnapped and murdered Police Officer Kevin Quick. Scissors-32x32.png

Cyber_Liberty

FTA:

“I’m very disappointed in the Senate’s vote. At a time when significant voting rights cases and other consequential matters are pending, it is more critical than ever to have a confirmed leader for the Civil Rights Division. Mr. Adegbile is a uniquely qualified nominee and an exceptional lawyer. He deserved to have his nomination considered wholly on the merits. His record was either misunderstood, or intentionally misrepresented for the sake of politics," Holder said when Adegbile's nomination was blocked.

I was struck by something about this quote from Holder back when this first happened. He seems to be making the "warm body" argument, ie "We need a warm body in the office." That's a pretty tepid endorsement.

FTA:

I was struck by something about this quote from Holder back when this first happened. He seems to be making the "warm body" argument, ie "We need a warm body in the office." That's a pretty tepid endorsement.

As more and more is coming out about the new AG nominate, it seems as though we can expect more of the same. Sigh. Two years can be an eternity sometimes.

• Like 1

Cyber_Liberty

Leaky Leahy, the current Chair of the Committee to hear her, is saying he doubts he can get her calendared this year. He hasn't even received the paperwork from the White House. Either Obama wasn't serious about her, or plans to do a recess appointment. I think he can do that, if this time he actually waits for the Senate to go into Recess. I'm not sure that's ever been done for the AG spot, though.

Leaky Leahy, the current Chair of the Committee to hear her, is saying he doubts he can get her calendared this year. He hasn't even received the paperwork from the White House. Either Obama wasn't serious about her, or plans to do a recess appointment. I think he can do that, if this time he actually waits for the Senate to go into Recess. I'm not sure that's ever been done for the AG spot, though.

Since Holder is still on the job (unfortunately), it doesn't seem as though he is in a rush.

Cyber_Liberty

Since Holder is still on the job (unfortunately), it doesn't seem as though he is in a rush.

He should be. The Republicans can do serious harm to Obama in the confirmation hearings, if they're the Majority. Any appointee will be grilled for the sins of Holder, and there are a lot of Senators on that committee who would love to have a couple hours of testimony, all to themselves. Obama wants this done before January. I don't think it's going to happen because even the Dems in the Senate are pissed at him. The Chair of Judiciary is slow-walking this thing, Leahy.

He should be. The Republicans can do serious harm to Obama in the confirmation hearings, if they're the Majority. Any appointee will be grilled for the sins of Holder, and there are a lot of Senators on that committee who would love to have a couple hours of testimony, all to themselves. Obama wants this done before January. I don't think it's going to happen because even the Dems in the Senate are pissed at him. The Chair of Judiciary is slow-walking this thing, Leahy.

I don't trust the "Republicans" to do ANY harm to Obama's nominations at this point....

Cyber_Liberty

I don't trust the "Republicans" to do ANY harm to Obama's nominations at this point....

They are a bit limited right now, CV, but January will be a different story. Whether or not they do anything with it will have a major impact on 2016. They know if they go back to actin like it's 2006 they'll be wiped out of the Senate, and will be looking at another Dem President.