WaPo: ‘Liberalism Ruined My Parenting’

Valin

wapo-liberalism-ruined-my-parenting-ian-tuttleNational Review/The Corner:

Ian Tuttle

November 4, 2014

Darlene Cunha’s six-year-old twin girls are not doomed quite yet — but the window is closing. So it is refreshing to find Cunha, “a former television producer turned stay-at-home mom,” writing in today’s Washington Post, “I’m a diehard, bleeding-heart liberal. And it’s ruining my parenting.”

Cunha wants her daughters “to think critically, to fight for fairness and justice whenever they can . . . [and] to value equality above all else. But sometimes, I also need them to do what I say.” That she calls this a “contradiction” suggests that Cunha herself is not the most critical of thinkers — but it is to her immense credit that she draws a straight line from her ideological loyalties to the “ruthless, time-consuming battles” that now define her relationship with her children.

Cunha does not use the word “entitled,” but that would not be an inapt description of her daughters:

My daughter wanted me to buy her candy but had not behaved well enough to warrant an extra treat.

“Mom,” my daughter said, “people without money need help, and people with money need to help them.”

“Yes, that’s right,” I said.

“Well, I don’t have money, and you do, so you need to help me and buy this.”

“I’ve taught the wrong message,” Cunha confesses: “that life should be fair and there is no other acceptable option. . . . Fair became ‘what I want right now because I want it.’”

(Snip)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't know sounds like Cunha has become a good leftist.