Court orders nurse in Maine to observe Ebola quarantine rules

Draggingtree

222433-court-orders-maine-nurse-to-stay-away-from-public-placesThe Hill: Court orders nurse in Maine to observe Ebola quarantine rules

By Sarah Ferris - 10/31/14 10:41 AM EDT

A district court in Maine has issued a temporary order to restrict the movements of a nurse who recently treated Ebola patients in West Africa but has refused to comply with a state-ordered quarantine.

The state now has legal authority to force the 33-year-old Fort Kent resident, Kaci Hickox, to comply with rules intended to prevent the spread of Ebola, according to local news outlets Scissors-32x32.png

Cyber_Liberty

I think the bike ride inspired the court. She was most obviously not going to honor a voluntary Q, so now it's mandatory. I bet boyfriend gets to share the experience, too. Good work, honey, you sure showed them!

There is ample legal precedence for locking up people who refuse to self-quarantine, I'm surprised it took them this long.

Edited to add: I think the terms from the court are still too loose. She needs to stay in the house, and they're still taking her word on too much while letting her travel where she pleases. They only insist she stays at least three feet from other people, and we know she'll break that in the first couple of days.

Edited by Cyber_Liberty
  • Like 1