CDC: Second healthcare worker tests positive for Ebola

Geee

220789-cdc-second-healthcare-worker-tests-positive-for-ebolaThe Hill:

Another healthcare worker at a Dallas hospital who treated Thomas Eric Duncan, who died of Ebola last week, has tested positive for the deadly virus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said early Tuesday.

“The patient was isolated after an initial report of a fever and remains so now. Confirmation testing at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s laboratory is being done,” the CDC said in a statement.

The unidentified healthcare worker is being monitored for fever and symptoms at Texas Presbyterian Hospital, the CDC said. Officials have interviewed the patient to identify any contacts or potential exposures in the community, the CDC added.Scissors-32x32.png

220789-cdc-second-healthcare-worker-tests-positive-for-ebola:

Another healthcare worker at a Dallas hospital who treated Thomas Eric Duncan, who died of Ebola last week, has tested positive for the deadly virus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said early Tuesday.

“The patient was isolated after an initial report of a fever and remains so now. Confirmation testing at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s laboratory is being done,” the CDC said in a statement.

The unidentified healthcare worker is being monitored for fever and symptoms at Texas Presbyterian Hospital, the CDC said. Officials have interviewed the patient to identify any contacts or potential exposures in the community, the CDC added.Scissors-32x32.png

It is interesting that the people he was staying with have not caught it.

NURSES: WE WERE TOLD TO CALL AUTHORITIES FOR EBOLA PROTOCOL

A statement from National Nurses United on the treatment of Dallas Ebola patient said that “nurses were asked to call the Infectious Disease Department” to learn the policies on how to treat Duncan.

The statement, which was played in its entirety on CNN on Wednesday morning, also reports that Ebola training at the hospital was “optional,” “nurses have been left to train each other,” and that nurses who interacted with Duncan simply continued treating other patients.

According to the statement, “there was no advanced preparedness on what to do with the patient. There was no protocol, there was no system. The nurses were asked to call the Infectious Disease Department. The Infectious Disease Department did not have clear policies to provide either.”Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/10/15/Nurses-We-Were-Told-to-Call-Authorities-for-Ebola-Protocol

220789-cdc-second-healthcare-worker-tests-positive-for-ebola:

It is interesting that the people he was staying with have not caught it.

I was saying that very thing this morning. These nurses we at least somewhat protected and they got it. Latest news being that the second health care worker was on a Frontier flight to and from Ohio on Monday. Why the H after the first healthcare worker came down with it wouldn't they quarantine the others till they knew they were safe.I know we were dumb in the 'olden days', but does anyone remember TB?

So you just treated someone for Ebola, time to get away for the weekend, hop on a plane fly around the country and back. Just lovely.

• Like 1

We're All Gonna Die

Hugh 'all ebola all the time' Hewitt

Hopefully this is not going to affect any more than a few people. But the thing that really is bothering me (although I haven't a clue why I'm surprised) is the major incompetence. If this was indeed spread by air - this group, who are suppose to be our 'experts' at helping us are a disaster. This is what this branch of government is for and what we are paying them for. I point you to the article I posted this morning by Michele Malkin about all the BS there spending the money for, just like so many other of these agencies that are spending money on so many other things than the purpose that the agency was originally set up for - prime example being the military.

@Geee

It seems to me if it had mutated to being airborne a lot more people would have it in west Africa.

I'm not saying it has - I'm saying we are damn lucky it hasn't!

@Geee

It seems to me if it had mutated to being airborne a lot more people would have it in west Africa.

It seems to me that this Ebola Crisis is the latest Bright Shiny Thing put out by the media, to take our mind/gaze off this administration.

This proves my above post:

Feds Spend $2.1 Million to Develop Weight-Tracking Insoles, Buttons

The federal government is spending more than $2 million to develop wearable insoles and buttons that can track a person’s weight in order to fight obesity.

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has awarded grants for two projects that will monitor “lifestyle behavior” through technologies that will encourage people to exercise more.

The first project, awarded to SmartMove, Inc., a company that provides physical activity “coaching solutions,” is creating insoles that will track a person’s weight.

“A single device that accurately monitors body weight, posture allocation, physical activity (i.e. movement), and energy expenditure would be an extremely useful tool for weight management,” the grant’s abstract states.

The insoles work with a mobile phone app that would show the user their weight and physical activity levels. A video shows a person using an early prototype in 2011 while walking around a fountain.

“Such a device could be used to quantify and modify physical activity and lifestyle behavior in overweight and obese individuals and others with sedentary lifestyles,” the project reasons.

The grant added that the insoles “can assist in successful weight management in free-living adults.” SmartMove, Inc. has received a total of $1,334,397 for the project so far.Scissors-32x32.png

http://freebeacon.com/issues/feds-spend-2-1-million-to-develop-weight-tracking-insoles-buttons/

This is the sort of mission creep that the National Institute of Health is spending money on.

@Geee

Make no mistake we are over due for a pandemic...its just this isn't it.

@Geee

Make no mistake we are over due for a pandemic...its just this isn't it.

And just look at how we are going to be ready for it! When the first patient was diagnosed, they told his family to stay in the house. They didn't. They didn't make them till they found out that they weren't. The medical team that treated him had no training until the first healthcare worker was infected. Then they said they were 'watching' the rest of the medical team. Well they were watching so close that the recent one that was infected flew without their knowledge and they are blaming her, saying 'she should have known better' WTH. As for how far this is going to go, most health experts think that this can be contained, but they cannot guarantee that airborne mutations can't occur. With this kind of incompetent response to where it is now, we had better hope that doesn't happen.

Now as I finish up my rant, I just want to add that I wonder what these idiots (Jesse Jackson being one) that were saying that this man was treated differently because he was black would like to say now. A couple of these people may have given up their lives to care for him.

So reports are now saying the nurse knew she had a slight fever 99.5 when she GOT ON THE PLANE HOME. She went home to plan her wedding.

So reports are now saying the nurse knew she had a slight fever 99.5 when she GOT ON THE PLANE HOME. She went home to plan her wedding.

Well, I hope it not funeral plans she has to make instead.

@Geee

And a fine rant it was!

Even Brother Jesse is not that stupid.....at least I hope so.

The Pentagon and CDC have contingency plans for dealing with this kind of thing. The question is, do the politicians have the will/stones to implement them? That said the problem with Ebola and other hemorrhagic fevers is 1. they are hard to get. It's not like catching a cold. 2. It kills people really fast. 3. (as I recall reading a couple of years ago) Ebola (and other hemorrhagic fevers) is...well delicate. There is a reason why it is found only in West Africa. You take Ebola and drop it in North Dakota and it will last about 37 seconds. This is the reason I'm not all that concerned. At some point a virus will mutate into something as lethal as Ebola, hardy, airborne, and kills slowly. At that point look around because the human race will be far up the east fork of Sh*t Creek...without a paddle in sight.

CIDRAP DIRECTOR: AIRBORNE EBOLA 'SINGLE GREATEST CONCERN' OF MY CAREER

The director of the University of Minnesota's prestigious Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) tells CNN that the possibility of airborne Ebola is the sum of all fears.

In a piece by CNN Senior Medical Correspondent Elizabeth Cohen titled, "Ebola in the Air? A Nightmare that Could Happen," CIDRAP Director Dr. Michael Osterholm said nothing compares to the threat of airborne Ebola.

"It's the single greatest concern I've ever had in my 40-year public health career," Dr. Osterholm told CNN. "I can't imagine anything in my career--and this includes HIV--that would be more devastating to the world than a respiratory transmissable Ebola virus."

Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/15/CIDRAP-Director-Airborne-Ebola-Single-Greatest-Concern-of-My-Career

@Geee @Valin

Obama: "I shook hands with, hugged and kissed not the doctors, but a couple of the nurses at Emory, because of the valiant work that they did in treating one of the patients. They followed the protocols, they knew what they were doing, and I felt perfectly safe doing so," he said.

Why does that want to make me throw up? I have a hard time seeing him hug and kiss nurses.... unless maybe they were really cute....

@Geee @Valin

Obama: "I shook hands with, hugged and kissed not the doctors, but a couple of the nurses at Emory, because of the valiant work that they did in treating one of the patients. They followed the protocols, they knew what they were doing, and I felt perfectly safe doing so," he said.

Why does that want to make me throw up?

Class?

@Geee @Valin

Why does that want to make me throw up? I have a hard time seeing him hug and kiss nurses.... unless maybe they were really cute....

I censored.gif :censored:that censored.gifcensored.gifcensored.gif :censored:and censored.gif

@Geee @Valin

I censored.gifcensored.gifthat censored.gifcensored.gifcensored.gifcensored.gifand censored.gif

He made it sound like those healthcare workers that he kissed were from the Texas hospital, another one of his deceits. Turns out he was talking about healthcare workers that had been back from Africa for weeks. NEVER NEVER is this guy a straight shooter.

He made it sound like those healthcare workers that he kissed were from the Texas hospital, another one of his deceits. Turns out he was talking about healthcare workers that had been back from Africa for weeks. NEVER NEVER is this guy a straight shooter.

Rumor has it he may not be straight either....
  • Like 1

Reports: CDC approved Ebola-infected nurse's air travel

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) approved air travel by the second Dallas nurse who was diagnosed with Ebola — despite her reporting to the agency that she had a low-grade fever, according to a pair of local news reports Wednesday night.

Amber Vinson, a 29-year old who contracted the disease after treating Thomas Duncan at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, called the CDC several times to report that she had a fever of 99.5 degrees, CBS News Medical Correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook reported Wednesday.

But Vinson was reportedly allowed to fly to Cleveland because her temperature was not above 100.3 degrees — the temperature at which the CDC considers someone a high risk. Vinson arrived to Atlanta's Emory Hospital for specialized treatment Wednesday evening.

CDC officials confirmed to the Dallas Fort-Worth Fox affiliate they told Vinson it was o.k. to fly, even with a low-grade fever, according to a tweet.Scissors-32x32.png

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/220913-reports-cdc-approved-ebola-infected-nurses-air-travel