Woman Arrested for Possession of… SpaghettiOs?

Geee

florida-woman-arrested-possession-spaghettiosHeritage Foundation:

A Georgia woman has been released after she was arrested for possession – of SpaghettiOs.

According to the Gainesville Times, police arrested Ashley Huff, 23, when they found a “suspicious residue” they believed to be meth on a spoon inside the car she was riding in.

Huff was subsequently charged with possession of methamphetamine.

Huff repeatedly told police that there was “no way in hell” that the substance was drug residue, according to Hall County assistant public defender Chris van Rossem.

>>> The Extent of America’s Overcriminalization Problem

Huff was unable to afford her bail and spent more than a month in jail while her attorney attempted to arrange a plea bargain.

She was released only after the crime lab finally came back with the results of its substance analysis.

It was spaghetti sauce.

“I think she said it had been SpaghettiOs,” said van Rossem.Scissors-32x32.png

This part bothers Jordan Richardson, a visiting legal fellow at The Heritage Foundation:

Richardson did raise concerns about the plea deal Huff was considering before the results came back from the crime lab.

“The scary thing is that when she was confronted with jail and a fine, even though she turned out to be innocent, it was easier to take the punishment,” said Richardson.

This is the part that bothers me, in addition to that:

Huff was unable to afford her bail and spent more than a month in jail while her attorney attempted to arrange a plea bargain.

Two things: Excessive bail was set, so she was jailed without benefit of Due Process. We do have a specific Amendment to the Constitution (one of the first ten, in fact) that prohibits excessive bail for just that reason. They could have OR'ed her. Meanwhile, the crime lab slow-walked the analysis of the evidence that eventually vindicated her. When somebody is sitting in jail, the lab is supposed to expedite the process.

• Like 1

I was disturbed about the plea deal part also. Something on her record for the rest of her life for eating Spaghettio's??? I suppose she had a court appointed crummy lawyer also, because he doesn't sound like he was a bright bulb. I know that in the future eating Spaghettios will probably REALLY be a crime, but this was nuts.

• Like 2

Sweet @Geee & @Cyber_Liberty!

In the course of doing my Prison Ministry....I've talked to more than a few detainees, and they've complained about bail procedures for Jefferson County.

It seems that, in most cases elsewhere... a bail bond amount is set at say $5,000.00.....and normally you post 10% of that number, or $500.00 for your bond. [This covers the bondsman, as he almost certainly get his fee, after the trial appearance.]

Jefferson County now asks for the maximum bond amount, and insists that it be paid in whole, and in cash. Very few detainees or their families can come up with a straight $10,000.00 in cash [which also appears to be the lowest bond amount.]

Ergo....they stay in jail for many months [even years] while awaiting their day in court.

One detainee had been in JEFFCO detention for 22 months. His case had been postponed at least 3 times [change of lawyer & prosecution witness not available] and eventually he had to be released because the prosecution witness had fled the state + he had already done 4 months more than a conviction & sentence would have required.

In the course of doing my Prison Ministry....I've talked to more than a few detainees, and they've complained about bail procedures for Jefferson County.

It seems that, in most cases elsewhere... a bail bond amount is set at say $5,000.00.....and normally you post 10% of that number, or $500.00 for your bond. [This covers the bondsman, as he almost certainly get his fee, after the trial appearance.]

Jefferson County now asks for the maximum bond amount, and insists that it be paid in whole, and in cash. Very few detainees or their families can come up with a straight $10,000.00 in cash [which also appears to be the lowest bond amount.]

Ergo....they stay in jail for many months [even years] while awaiting their day in court.

One detainee had been in JEFFCO detention for 22 months. His case had been postponed at least 3 times [change of lawyer & prosecution witness not available] and eventually he had to be released because the prosecution witness had fled the state + he had already done 4 months more than a conviction & sentence would have required.

How many times did they bail out, only to have the court dream up a reason to keep the bail, rather than giving it back after trial?

• Like 1

How many times did they bail out, only to have the court dream up a reason to keep the bail, rather than giving it back after trial?

I don't know because I don't usually see them after court & sentencing.....although I have had a few show up again for another offense, or because their bond was revoked.

• Like 1